XP pro hangs at install, new drive, no service packs

July 21, 2005 2:52:02 PM

Have Asus mobo p4 3.0 mhz, new 160 western digital,
had to change HD, original died
while installing XP pro on the only HD (an EIDE) on IDE 1 primary,
windows stalls after it ask to ENTER or REPAIR and I select enter, new install
I have jumpers correct and I have used westerndigital data tool to format
and partition in DOS before installing, I split the drive in two 80 gb part.
I know Windows XP w/o service packs will not see over 137gb partition,
I have also tried formatting drive to 137gb and losing the other 23gb and
still same problem

BIOS been updated and fully recognizes size, model and all

can not get XP to install or even get far into the install, I think it is
not recognizing drive
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:04:47 PM

bb4k wrote:

> Have Asus mobo p4 3.0 mhz, new 160 western digital,
> had to change HD, original died
> while installing XP pro on the only HD (an EIDE) on IDE 1 primary,
> windows stalls after it ask to ENTER or REPAIR and I select enter, new install
> I have jumpers correct and I have used westerndigital data tool to format
> and partition in DOS before installing, I split the drive in two 80 gb part.
> I know Windows XP w/o service packs will not see over 137gb partition,
> I have also tried formatting drive to 137gb and losing the other 23gb and
> still same problem
>
> BIOS been updated and fully recognizes size, model and all
>
> can not get XP to install or even get far into the install, I think it is
> not recognizing drive

Do the installation by booting the computer using the XP
cdrom. Let it do the partitioning and formatting, preferably
to NTFS. Hard drive should be seen and installation should
proceed without any further issues.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:31:01 PM

tried it and many other things, I am at the conclusion that it is the HD and
will return for replacement.

hopefully I do not have to post further problems with the replacement

!