Can't get windows updates

Trying to log on and download windows updates and all I receive is the
message below:

"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.
You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update."

Why won't it recorgnize my XP system?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
CMcL
5 answers Last reply
More about windows updates

    When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see a Thank you page

    Problem description
    When trying to access the Windows Update site, you see a page that begins
    with the text: Windows Update is the online Extension of Windows that helps
    you get the most out of your computer. This error may occur if Active
    Scripting is disabled.

    Resolutions
    Enable Active Scripting in Internet Explorer
    1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Select the Security tab.
    4. Select the Internet Web zone icon.
    5. To adjust the security level, click Default Level.
    6. The Are you sure you want to change the security settings for this zone
    dialog box opens.
    7. Click Yes.
    8. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    9. Try Windows Update again

    If you have Norton Internet Security, see this...
    Error: "You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to
    use Windows Update
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2002100402324636?Open

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/0x800c0005.htm
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4CDB120D-CEEA-4DDD-976E-DF16046DD168@microsoft.com,
    Confused about an error message
    <Confusedaboutanerrormessage@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Trying to log on and download windows updates and all I receive is the
    > message below:
    >
    > "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    > Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    > most out of your computer.
    > You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    > Windows Update."
    >
    > Why won't it recorgnize my XP system?
    > Any help is appreciated
    > Thanks
    > CMcL

    Updates only work if you have SP1 or SP2. Do you?

    <Confusedaboutanerrormessage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to log on and download windows updates and all I receive is the
    > message below:
    >
    > "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    > Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    > most out of your computer.
    > You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    > Windows Update."
    >
    > Why won't it recorgnize my XP system?
    > Any help is appreciated
    > Thanks
    > CMcL

  3. If you click on this link http://www.connectionwizard.org/ and go to my malware removal section, there is detailed instructions that will help you. just click on the instructions link. the software is totally free and very easy instructions on using it. Everyone needs to get all the microsoft updates before the worm hits. Microsoft updates has a patch so you won't get it. I hear it's a bad one too. Tell your friends about this site when you are done. The site is currently under construction but I do have all the links for the software up and starting the instructions, now so be patient. Instructions for the first one are already in there.
  4. Gawd.....a bunch of revived 2005 topics.
  5. Go to this site http://connectionwizard.org/ and if you follow my instructions which I have made very easy to understand. Your computer will be new again. It cost absolutly nothing, you dont have to join anything. it's easy.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP