formatting prblems

Hi,
I am trying to format my hard drive from the windows XP Pro disk. It gets to
8 percent and then seems to stall. It has been on 8 percent now for well
over an hour. What can I or should I do now?
Cheers
Lenny

After booting from the Windows XP CD, delete the partition. Then create and
format a new partition. It should work. If it doesn't you likely have a hard
drive error.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to format my hard drive from the windows XP Pro disk. It gets
> to 8 percent and then seems to stall. It has been on 8 percent now for
> well over an hour. What can I or should I do now?
> Cheers
> Lenny

Three things come to mind:

1) Your CD is bad
2) Your BIOS needs updated
3) Your motherboard is bad

I know the last two don't make much sense, but I had two comps doing what
you describe, and our hardware techs had to replace the MoBo on one, and
update the BIOS on another, then all was well again.

"lenny" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to format my hard drive from the windows XP Pro disk. It gets to
> 8 percent and then seems to stall. It has been on 8 percent now for well
> over an hour. What can I or should I do now?
> Cheers
> Lenny

Format is a memory resident command. Once it is read into memory then the CD
is not needed for the operation.

Why wouldn't you suspect the hard drive? Or the ram?
Or the mass storage controller?

"F6Hawk" <F6Hawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Three things come to mind:
>
> 1) Your CD is bad

> 2) Your BIOS needs updated

> 3) Your motherboard is bad

> I know the last two don't make much sense, but I had two comps doing what
> you describe, and our hardware techs had to replace the MoBo on one, and
> update the BIOS on another, then all was well again.
>
> "lenny" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to format my hard drive from the windows XP Pro disk. It gets
>> 8 percent and then seems to stall. It has been on 8 percent now for well
>> over an hour. What can I or should I do now?
>> Cheers
>> Lenny

I have noticed that there are a number of other options to format the drive
including the Quick format. I have started that one and it seems to have
done the trick. When or if XP goes on OK from now I think I will do a disk
check.
"lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to format my hard drive from the windows XP Pro disk. It gets
> to 8 percent and then seems to stall. It has been on 8 percent now for
> well over an hour. What can I or should I do now?
> Cheers
> Lenny

thanks everybody, I have sorted it out with a quick format and then the
usual install.
Lenny