816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microso..

When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a Microsoft VM
window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the
Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the Automatic Updates window reports:
"You have successfully updated your computer. You must restart your computer
for the updates to take effect."

The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up to 10
times hitherto.

What action should I take to stop the cycle?
6 answers Last reply
More about 816093 security update microsoft virtual machine microso

    "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to
    complete the installation."
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Will wrote:
    > When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a
    > Microsoft VM window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an
    > existing version of the Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the
    > Automatic Updates window reports: "You have successfully updated your
    > computer. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect."
    >
    > The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up to 10
    > times hitherto.
    >
    > What action should I take to stop the cycle?

    The default user is configured as Administrator and has logged-on subsequent
    to every reboot.

    Admittedly, a password hadn't been configured for the default user. When I
    configured the password and used it to logon the cycle seemed to be broken.

    Will

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to
    > complete the installation."
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Will wrote:
    > > When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a
    > > Microsoft VM window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an
    > > existing version of the Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the
    > > Automatic Updates window reports: "You have successfully updated your
    > > computer. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect."
    > >
    > > The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up to 10
    > > times hitherto.
    > >
    > > What action should I take to stop the cycle?

    Actually, I was fooled. The same messages display regardless of whether a
    password is used or otherwise.

    Will

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to
    > complete the installation."
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Will wrote:
    > > When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a
    > > Microsoft VM window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an
    > > existing version of the Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the
    > > Automatic Updates window reports: "You have successfully updated your
    > > computer. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect."
    > >
    > > The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up to 10
    > > times hitherto.
    > >
    > > What action should I take to stop the cycle?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.java.vm,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Here are some general WinUp troubleshooting tips, Will:

    1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

    2. You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

    3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
    associated with the download/install.

    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

    3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
    pane > Solve problems on your own.

    4. Windows Update Checklist:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

    5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

    Here's the VM newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.java.vm (to
    which I'm crossposting my reply in hopes that someone there might be able to
    help you).
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Will wrote:
    <paste to combine replies>
    > The default user is configured as Administrator and has logged-on
    > subsequent to every reboot.
    >
    > Admittedly, a password hadn't been configured for the default user. When
    > I configured the password and used it to logon the cycle seemed to be
    > broken.
    </paste>
    > Actually, I was fooled. The same messages display regardless of whether a
    > password is used or otherwise.
    >
    > > "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to
    > > complete the installation."
    > > --
    > > Will wrote:
    > > > When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a
    > > > Microsoft VM window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an
    > > > existing version of the Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the
    > > > Automatic Updates window reports: "You have successfully updated your
    > > > computer. You must restart your computer for the updates to take
    > > > effect."
    > > >
    > > > The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up
    > > > to 10 times hitherto.
    > > >
    > > > What action should I take to stop the cycle?

    Hi Will - Perhaps some of the info in this "standard" posting may help:

    To determine your Java version:

    For the MS JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter jview
    For the Sun JRE/JVM: In a command window, at the prompt enter
    java -version

    You can test whether Java is working on your machine at the following sites:

    http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html
    http://www.clan.lib.ri.us/clan/javatest.html (This one may be down)
    http://www.fitwise.com/testjava.asp (both 1.0 and 1.1 and what's installed)
    http://coglab.wadsworth.com/support/browsercheck.html
    http://www.ces.clemson.edu/webct/browser_detect.html

    If you have Sun Java installed, you can run their test utility here:
    http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

    and you can test Javascript here:
    http://www.dancespots.net/browsertest.htm

    There is good information concerning all aspects of the Java situation here:
    http://www.javatester.org/installing.html

    Be aware, however, that after Dec 31, 2007, MS will apparently no longer be
    distributing Java or providing any support for Java including security
    fixes. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/ so you might want
    to start thinking about the future. MS Java VM Transition FAQ are available
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp Information on the current
    availability of the MS JVM is available here: INFO: Availability of Current
    Build of Microsoft VM,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;163637

    You can get the Sun Java J2SE RunTimes or SDK here:
    http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html (all versions - select using the
    dropdown - I recommend that you don't install any version prior to 1.4.2.08
    in order to get an important security fix.)

    Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in
    here: http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

    If you want the latest and greatest, you can link to a download for the J2SE
    5.0 JRE here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp (What I use,
    BTW)

    For the MS Java VM, you may need to install v.3805 or v.3809 prior to
    upgrading to v. 3810 if you didn't previously have MS Java v. 3805 or 3809
    installed.

    If your OS is Win2000 SP2, SP3 but NOT SP4 then you can download and install
    MS Java VM v. 3809 from here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/CabPool/Q810030_W2K_510A502BA8F9B6F19230BB2BCCE87D5474AC9DCD.exe
    or here:
    http://www.biologylab.awlonline.com/MSJavaVM/Software/en/com_microsoft.windows2000/x86win2k/com_microsoft.Q810030_W2K_SP4_5849/Q810030_W2K.exe

    For Win2000 SP4, follow the directions here: Frequently Asked Questions
    About the Microsoft VM and Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820101 "Because the Microsoft VM files are
    not protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature in Windows 2000
    SP4, redistributable versions of the Microsoft VM can be installed on a
    Windows 2000 SP4-based computer with or without the Microsoft VM."

    For all other OS's:

    Download and install the MS Java VM v. 3809 from one of the links here:
    http://ftp.idilis.ro/windows/sp/jvm98/msjavwu.exe, or here:
    http://secinfo.huji.ac.il/patches/Win-xp/msjavwu.exe or v. 3805 from
    here:
    http://www.sijet.com/msjavx86.exe

    Then upgrade to v. 3810:

    For all OS's except Win2kSP4 obtain v. 3810 here:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1050022631 ,or here:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

    For Win2k - SP2, SP3 - you can also obtain v. 3810 from Microsoft here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/7/577b7277-227d-4163-9b18-423356321682/Q816093_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe

    For Win2kSP4, to get 3810 from Microsoft you now have to get Q816093 from
    Windows Update Catalog - use the procedure given in the Q820101 link given
    above for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition (Yes, Win98x/SE - it's
    not a mistake). You can find directions for using the Windows Update
    Catalog functions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166.

    Both Java VM's can co-exist on your machine quite nicely. Just select which
    one you want to use in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced and restart all IE
    browsers. Here, courtesy of Mitch Gallant, MVP Security, is a tiny utility
    which allows you to toggle and view status of your current Java VM vendor
    associated with IE:
    http://www.jensign.com/JavaScience/SelectIEJVM/index.html

    A note from Mitch Gallant:

    "One note about the JVM Selector utility: If/when you install a new
    version of Sun J2SE, you need to manually select to have Sun JVM as default
    JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control panel.
    This generates the necessary win32 registry entries, which must be present
    for the utility to know about JavaPlugin. After that, the utility should
    work properly."

    Java and JavaScript are two different things. See here for tutorials on
    the differences:

    http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
    http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301

    For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=jscript&DisplayLang=en
    Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
    particular OS.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    "Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, I was fooled. The same messages display regardless of
    > whether a password is used or otherwise.
    >
    > Will
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    >> "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to
    >> complete the installation."
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816093
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >>
    >> Will wrote:
    >>> When the update above is run (downloaded by Automatic Update), a
    >>> Microsoft VM window reports: "This setup will only upgrade over an
    >>> existing version of the Microsoft VM." Then you click OK and the
    >>> Automatic Updates window reports: "You have successfully updated
    >>> your computer. You must restart your computer for the updates to
    >>> take effect."
    >>>
    >>> The process repeats on restart - so far the process has repeated up
    >>> to 10 times hitherto.
    >>>
    >>> What action should I take to stop the cycle?

    I have this same problem, but I don't have VM installed. What can I do?

    "Jim Byrd" wrote:

> [...]
    > the differences:
    >
    > http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
    > http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/639301
    >

    > For JavaScript: download the latest engine for your particular OS here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=jscript&DisplayLang=en
    > Get both "Windows Script 5.6" and "JScript 5.6 Security Patch" for your
    > particular OS.
    >

    > --
    > Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    > My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
    >
    > "Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually, I was fooled. The same messages display regardless of
    > > whether a password is used or otherwise.
    > >
    > > Will
    > >
    > > "PA Bear" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "The update also requires an administrator logon after the restart to

Virtual Machine Security Microsoft Windows XP