Is there a way to deploy XP Service Pack 2 and leave the firewall turned off
(along with the popup warning messages) from a command line or script? The
switches that are included on the /? command are the usual Microsoft
switches, such as /passive, /norestart, etc. I need to find a way to
install this with the above options, but cant seem to locate any
customization tools from Microsoft.

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&DisplayLang=en

For issues related to firewalls:

Please visit the Windows Firewall newsgroup experts:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Philip Shulman" wrote:

| Is there a way to deploy XP Service Pack 2 and leave the firewall turned off
| (along with the popup warning messages) from a command line or script? The
| switches that are included on the /? command are the usual Microsoft
| switches, such as /passive, /norestart, etc. I need to find a way to
| install this with the above options, but cant seem to locate any
| customization tools from Microsoft.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Philip Shulman wrote:

> Is there a way to deploy XP Service Pack 2 and leave the firewall turned off
> (along with the popup warning messages) from a command line or script? The
> switches that are included on the /? command are the usual Microsoft
> switches, such as /passive, /norestart, etc. I need to find a way to
> install this with the above options, but cant seem to locate any
> customization tools from Microsoft.
Hi,

There is no command line switch for this, but you can set a couple
of registry values that disables the firewall (you can set them
before or after you have installed SP2).

The VBScript below sets the two registry values needed to disable
the WinXP SP2 firewall.

'--------------------8<----------------------
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

MsgBox "Done, please reboot computer", vbSystemModal+vbInformation

'--------------------8<----------------------

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Sorry, Torgeir, but Carey is right on target. There most certainly is a
command lin way to push this SP out and configure these settings.

Almost all MS products and patches have a way to perform ehanced guided
installs that are far more powerful than the gui setup provided.

Manny Borges wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
>> Philip Shulman wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to deploy XP Service Pack 2 and leave the
>>> firewall turned off (along with the popup warning messages)
>>> from a command line or script? The switches that are included
>>> on the /? command are the usual Microsoft switches, such as
>>> /passive, /norestart, etc. I need to find a way to install
>>> this with the above options, but cant seem to locate any
>>> customization tools from Microsoft.
>>
>> There is no command line switch for this, but you can set a
>> couple of registry values that disables the firewall (you can
>> set them before or after you have installed SP2).
>>
>> (snip vbscript)
>
> Sorry, Torgeir, but Carey is right on target. There most
> certainly is a command lin way to push this SP out and configure
> these settings.
>
> Almost all MS products and patches have a way to perform ehanced
> guided installs that are far more powerful than the gui setup
> provided.
Hi,

Sorry, I failed to mention that I was talking about the SP2 installer
(update.exe), it does not have a command line switch for disabling the
firewall as part of the installation (see further down in this post).

After SP2 is installed, you can of course use a command line tool
(netsh.exe) to disable the SP2 firewall , but the downside is that you
must do it after the reboot that the SP2 installation needs. The
registry values in the script I posted have the advantage that they
can be set before the installation of SP2 so you don't need to
initiate any post-boot operations.

Both netsh.exe and the registry values that I posted in my first post
is documented in the link that Carey provided, I just gave the OP the
easiest solution on how to disable the firewall as part of the
installation process (Using Group Policy would have been even more
easy, but the OP specified command line or script).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: