2nd 512mb stick - CAS question

ew_1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I currently have a P4 2.26Ghz with an Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard I built 2.5 years ago. I have one stick of 512MB DDR RAM from Corsair. It's CAS2 "XMS" running at DDR333 and my current timings are 2-2-2-7 (I think), not currently overclocked. I'd like to get another 512MB RAM for this system, but the same Corsair RAM is still rather pricey. I'd prefer to spend around $40-60, which I think will give me CAS 2.5 RAM. Assuming I should stay away from CAS3 RAM that usually is labeled as value RAM, what should I get? I assume I'll need to change my memory settings and run more slowly than I have with the CAS2 RAM, but I'm a novice in this area. I see a lot of cheap PC3200 RAM out there... Cost is an issue, as I don't want to put a lot of money into this 2.5 year old system. I want the RAM to work with what I have. My "need" is primarily for a little video editing I'll be doing plus occasional Virtual PC simulation of Windows 2003 applications. I may or may not want to overclock above DDR333 in the future, but this is not a significant factor in my purchase decision.

Thanks for any and all recommendations. Links to Newegg or other vendors are also welcome if you have a specific RAM recommentation.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR400 with a stock CAS 2.5 would probably be capable of running CAS 2 at DDR333 speed. If you're really short on money, it's worth a try.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ew_1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Thanks for the advice, Crashman. As the cost savings is roughly 2x and I'm not doing any serious gaming, the tradeoff appears worthwhile to me assuming it works.

As a follow-up, I should mention my actual current RAM timings are 2-3-3-7, which appears to be the default for my MB at DDR333.

Has anybody had success doing what Crashman believes may be possible? Even if it is possible, would I be better running at DDR400 and CAS2.5? I'd be overclocking to get there, so I'm wondering if the tradeoff is worth it.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

--Eric

Crash is absolutely correct - as always. If he's saying something, then you can take it to the bank! I have some Mushkin dual pack PC3200 (2X512MB) happily running at 2-2-2-5, 280Mhz FSB on an old Skt A mobo (Soyo Dragon Plus with VIA KT266A chipset). I don't think the memory is even close to limiting my FSB OC. I'm pretty sure my CPU/PSU are keeping me from running the system stable at a higher FSB. My multiplier is not unlocked and I think my PSU is starting to sh1t the bed - I'm getting some up/down spikes oustide the 5-10% range. :frown: Well, the old Enlight 350W has lasted 4 years, but the 12V only has 10A and the new 9800 Pro I put in is probably killing that rail...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can run the DDR400 at DDR333 speed, allong with your current DDR333. Because the entire memory bus runs at one speed, any time you run faster and slower RAM in combination you end up using the settings of the slower RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>