MN700 Port Forwarding broken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.pk.general (More info?)

I have just tried to migrate from Linksys to MN700 but none of the port forwarding is NOT working, searching on the net I found that the problem is due to lack of support of loopback on MN700 which is supposed to be fixed in SP1 firmware, when is the SP1 going to come out? I have looked at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx

All Microsoft had to do was to make sure they support the standard features like linksys, Dlink or Netgear.

I Shall wait and see. ;-))
6 answers Last reply
More about mn700 port forwarding broken

    Dear Anoosh,

    First, port forwarding DOES work on the MN-700. But, you
    cannot access from inside your LAN because loopback is
    not supported. You can easily access those ports from
    the WAN - from the internet. Try it.

    Second, I don't work for MS, but I can tell you this: MS
    hardware set THE standard for wireless security. Dlink
    and Netgear security was a joke before MS hardware.

    .... or the features in the MN-500 (yes, it has loopback)

    Just my 2 cents.

    The port forwarding actually works, just not for internal
    LAN clients.

    Hey Ken,
    I take your word for MS product setting security standards.

    I just did not like the fact that this was not mentioned anywhere in user guide and I spent few hours messing with my DSL modem and doing all kind of combination configuration with the MN700 before giving up and checking on the net. Ya I am too slow to give up.

    I run webserver with virtual hosting, and I need to be able to check them from inside with my High Availability Watch Dog tools via their DNS assigned URL ... and all of the PC have been configured to use official host&domain names to reach and access the services such as web, SMTP, ftp, LDAP, POP, IMAP, ... going back and change the inside boxes to use 192.168.x.x address will not work for me.

    So I would probably either try to return this to Circuitcity or I may just hang off MN700 from my Linksys inside port and solve the problem using both devices for now and wait for SP1.

    I have been a software developer since 1985 and when I want to build a product I check to see what others have done before me, and I do the same + more just to get market share. Microsoft should have done better or at list mention it in their documents that they supply with the product.

    So as a paid customer I should bring this up and hopefully they do better next time.

    "Ken" wrote:

    > Dear Anoosh,
    >
    > First, port forwarding DOES work on the MN-700. But, you
    > cannot access from inside your LAN because loopback is
    > not supported. You can easily access those ports from
    > the WAN - from the internet. Try it.
    >
    > Second, I don't work for MS, but I can tell you this: MS
    > hardware set THE standard for wireless security. Dlink
    > and Netgear security was a joke before MS hardware.

    Dear Anoosh,

    Yeah. To tell the truth I run my MN-700 as a
    wireless "sub-LAN" off my Linksys BE-xxx router. I run a
    webserver from the Linksys, not the MN-700.

    Good Luck!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.pk.general (More info?)

    According to a post from Neel Malik [MSFT] neelm@online.microsoft.com
    There is now a firmware upgrade that supports loopback in the MN-700.
    It also fixes some other issues.

    Anoosh wrote:

    > I have just tried to migrate from Linksys to MN700 but none of the port forwarding is NOT working, searching on the net I found that the problem is due to lack of support of loopback on MN700 which is supposed to be fixed in SP1 firmware, when is the SP1 going to come out? I have looked at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx
    >
    > All Microsoft had to do was to make sure they support the standard features like linksys, Dlink or Netgear.
    >
    > I Shall wait and see. ;-))
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.pk.general (More info?)

    MN700 SP1 firmware is now out.
    You can get it here.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/d/5/8d5f3570-e0aa-4ac4-8448-579870373a0f/MSBNDownload.exe

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Anoosh" <Anoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have just tried to migrate from Linksys to MN700 but none of the port
    forwarding is NOT working, searching on the net I found that the problem is
    due to lack of support of loopback on MN700 which is supposed to be fixed in
    SP1 firmware, when is the SP1 going to come out? I have looked at
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/15_Downloads.aspx

    > All Microsoft had to do was to make sure they support the standard
    features like linksys, Dlink or Netgear.

    > I Shall wait and see. ;-))

Routers Port Forwarding Microsoft Networking