Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
hey everybody :)

well i got here a serious trouble with my puter... some hystory and thoughts...

a few weeks ago my mobo died but still was covered by warranty so i had a new one, however now it is back it got all the time a simple black screen at random occasions even now after a complete reinstall of windows (2000)...

as the graphic card has been replaced by a new one and that the processor has been tested i suspect that the memory might be the cause, as i have a kind of intuition that tells me that the memory had a little blast from the mobo death... i got here plenty of error messager (like explorer .exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows) , and sometimes also the message "unhandled exception" and messages like "svchost.exe error: the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) click on ok to terminate the process" and sometimes a memory dump error blue screen...

i still got 1066 Mhz rambus however ran it always at 400 Mhz as the processor is a celly

so could it be that the memory failing? (i use a 431 W enermax PSU so that should be enough for a stable voltage, especially known i don't use my comp for gaming so the graphics are done by a geforce 440...

anyone any tips or clues how i can find it out?

thanks a lot!!

(sorry for the short message but my comp can stall at any moment)

<font color=purple><i> Enosi and I.... </i></font color=purple>

Tell us your system specs. Use <A HREF="http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4226.html" target="_new">Memtest86+</A> to check out your memory. You'll need to put it on a bootable disk, restart your computer and let it run for a while. Let it run overnight if you can.

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
all right system is:

asus P4t 533-c mobo fsb 533-400
intel 1800 celly @400 mhz
kingston valueram RDRam 1066 running @ 800 (two sticks of 128 meg)
asus geforce 440 mx (basic card no TV out or anything just a monitor plug)
enermax 432 w PSU
2 hard drives western digital 1 of 40 gig 1 of 120 gig
SB live platinum 5.1
then 2 additional HD's of 120 gig on a silicon image SIL 0680 IDE PCI card

voltage readings:
12 volt: 12.12~12.06V
5 volt: 5.06~5.03V
3;3 volts 3.34~3.32 V

the celly was ment as temporary sollution till i had enough cash to upgrade to a pentium well lol there are no pentiums anymore lol

i will try to execute the memory test prog, see what it does...

now one thing that gets also my attention is that the vid card is cooled passively and yesterday with all the crashing i tried to see if it wasn't located there and it HS of it was quite hot honestly if i was a chip i would be sweating there lol so might it be that the vid card generates the errors? when it starts from a "cold boot" it takes a while before everything starts... i will post the approx delay before the troubles do begin... as my comp is on since this post i will then put a second post when the stuff starts... it might give a clue :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AidaNoridania on 04/08/05 04:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
thanks a lot for the little utility Rugger!!

well i didn't had to run it for a night to see what was wrong in one pass it recorded 39553 errors lol and the second pass gave a whopping 82634 errors all located in the same area...

between 97.5 MB and 101.5 MB and between 153 MB and 157 MB

as the memory always has ran underclocked at 400 Mhz instead of 533, i suspect thaty the death of the mobo gave it a voltage blast... and therefore it is failing now...

That would seem to be at least one problem area. Do you have multiple sticks of RAM? If yes, then try with just one stick and see what happens.

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Trouble is that RDRAM works in pairs and can't be removed to only one stick... (yea i know it sucks badly lol) however i contacted kingston with the issue, as in the store they used another pair of memory modules and had no troubles...

Good luck getting it back up and running! We'll be here if you have other questions...