Burned out video card fan?

I have an NVidia GeForce4 440 AGP 8x

I noticed it was having some problems, with jagged lines all over the screen
and not being able to change resolutions and such (it has never been a
problem before, it came so suddenly). So I popped open my computer, and found
that the actual fan on the video card, was not spinning, so I immediately
thought it had burned out, and that I had to replace it. But, upon further
inspection, I noticed that the fan moves very, very little, almost
unnoticable. If I give it a push with something plastic (I'm not that stupid)
then it spins about halfway and struggles, then stops. I tried to vaccum it
out (I am very careful, and do this regularly) but it didn't help. I changed
slots on the motherboard, so see if maybe it would help, but nothing.

So my question, Is there a way to like, give it more power, so that the fan
will spin properly? Or is it a lost cause. It's not completely burned out,
there is just something not running right.

Thank you
7 answers Last reply
More about burned video card

    You need to replace the fan. It sounds like either the bearings or bushings
    have gone.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    >I have an NVidia GeForce4 440 AGP 8x
    >
    > I noticed it was having some problems, with jagged lines all over the
    > screen
    > and not being able to change resolutions and such (it has never been a
    > problem before, it came so suddenly). So I popped open my computer, and
    > found
    > that the actual fan on the video card, was not spinning, so I immediately
    > thought it had burned out, and that I had to replace it. But, upon further
    > inspection, I noticed that the fan moves very, very little, almost
    > unnoticable. If I give it a push with something plastic (I'm not that
    > stupid)
    > then it spins about halfway and struggles, then stops. I tried to vaccum
    > it
    > out (I am very careful, and do this regularly) but it didn't help. I
    > changed
    > slots on the motherboard, so see if maybe it would help, but nothing.
    >
    > So my question, Is there a way to like, give it more power, so that the
    > fan
    > will spin properly? Or is it a lost cause. It's not completely burned out,
    > there is just something not running right.
    >
    > Thank you

    Well, I kept playing with it, and I got it to spin! But I don't know if it is
    at full speed (looks like it) and I don't know if after I restart, if it will
    continue to spin.

    > Well, I kept playing with it, and I got it to spin! But I don't know if it
    > is
    > at full speed (looks like it) and I don't know if after I restart, if it
    > will
    > continue to spin.

    Go spend $3.00 and get a new fan what is hard is finding the one with the
    same connector!

    Rich

    Think they would have it at a local Office Max or Radioshack? It is two-prong
    connector, and the fan is round (not a square casing) and it's just shy of 2
    inches in diameter.

    "Rich" wrote:

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, I kept playing with it, and I got it to spin! But I don't know if it
    > > is
    > > at full speed (looks like it) and I don't know if after I restart, if it
    > > will
    > > continue to spin.
    >
    > Go spend $3.00 and get a new fan what is hard is finding the one with the
    > same connector!
    >
    > Rich

    These guys have them:

    www.cyberguys.com

    browse the catalog for fans

    > Think they would have it at a local Office Max or Radioshack? It is
    two-prong
    > connector, and the fan is round (not a square casing) and it's just shy of
    2
    > inches in diameter.
    >
    > "Rich" wrote:
    >

    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Well, I kept playing with it, and I got it to spin! But I don't know
    if it
    > > > is
    > > > at full speed (looks like it) and I don't know if after I restart, if
    it
    > > > will
    > > > continue to spin.
    > >
    > > Go spend $3.00 and get a new fan what is hard is finding the one with
    the
    > > same connector!
    > >
    > > Rich

    Just take it with you when you buy a replacement, you can't go wrong then.

    - Winux P

    > Think they would have it at a local Office Max or Radioshack? It is
    > two-prong
    > connector, and the fan is round (not a square casing) and it's just shy of
    > 2
    > inches in diameter.
    >
    > "Rich" wrote:
    >

    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Well, I kept playing with it, and I got it to spin! But I don't know if
    >> > it
    >> > is
    >> > at full speed (looks like it) and I don't know if after I restart, if
    >> > it
    >> > will
    >> > continue to spin.
    >>
    >> Go spend $3.00 and get a new fan what is hard is finding the one with the
    >> same connector!
    >>
    >> Rich

    The problem is that the lubricant has dried up and/or dust has gotten into
    the bearings. If the fan was burnt out, it wouldn't spin at all.

    In our shop, we usually fix them by carefully removing the fan, peeling off
    the label on the back side, prying out the little rubber plug (if present)
    and lubing with a few drops of oil. Best to use an oil with silicone or
    teflon added. You can get this type of oil at Radio Shack, et al. It comes in
    a pen-type container with a needle applicator.

    Some of the fans used on VGA cards are practically impossible to find, so we
    try this first.

    These

    "Chris" wrote:

    > So my question, Is there a way to like, give it more power, so that the fan
    > will spin properly? Or is it a lost cause. It's not completely burned out,
    > there is just something not running right.
    >
    > Thank you

Graphics Cards Fan Windows XP