I'm having some sort of an Internet connection problem. After restarting my
system, I can connect to the Internet okay. I then surf a few URL's and
suddenly I get a "Server Not Found" error message. "SOMETIMES" I can hit
"Refresh" serveral times and I'll get a connect, but the is rare.

When this error occurs, instead of restarting the system, I just try to use
the dialer supplied by my ISP (ATTGlobal.net), I'll get a "An unrecoverable
socket error occurred while authenticating with the server on the network."
error. My ISP claims it due to some firewall, virus checker, spam check, etc
that is causing the problem. One thing I have done is disabled everyone of
my startup programs (via msconfig). What about the programs listed under the
Services Tab? Can I disable any or all of them?

This problem started a couple of weeks ago. I have not tried a "System
Restore" from back that long ago. Does doing that seem like a good thing to
do?

Thanks.

Bruce

1. Try Clean Boot troubleshooting:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

2. Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**
--