help!!!! 2 sticks wony work together

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
just got my second stick of ram in the mail today. its Corsair xtreme pc 3200 512mb ram. now i already have a stick of crusial value 512mb pc 3200 ram in the first slot. now normally with the one stick in the it startes it up, and it comes up on the boot up screen And shows the cpu im using, memory test, my hardware attched to the computer, hada hada , then goes to the windows screen. but when i started it up with the corsair in the second slot along with first stick in the first slot and went to the bootup screen but didnt show all that stuff and never made it past the bootup screen. now when i put the corsiar memory in the first slot by itself without the crusial in the second it starts up fine. but when i try to start it up with the crusial in the first slot and the corsair in the second slot it want work. I even tryed putting the corsair in the first slot and the crusial in the second but it still want make it pass the bootup screen. i have a gigabyte Ga-k8ns socket 754 board . ive unlpugged and and did everyting i could think of no dice. any ideas would help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
More volts, higher timings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
why would it need more volts or higher timmings, im not overclocking?? wouldnt raising the volts be bad for the ram, how do i change the timmings. how do i know what to raise them to.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newdude on 04/09/05 06:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Firstly I have to ask why you bothered getting a cosair Xtreme DIMM? You should have got another crucial DIMM, its always best to use the same modules to avoid compatability issues.

In your BIOS is should say something about RAM timmings. It will probably have an option that says either "Auto" or "by SPD" you need to set this to manual, and then relax the timmings a lil.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some performance RAM requires additional voltage. I've never seen 2.8v hurt RAM, but 2.7v should be enough.

Adding modules stresses RAM timing more, adding voltage and/or relaxing timings adds stability.

I'd try 2.5-3-3-8 timings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
yeah its corsair xtreme. so, i will have to loosen the ram timings first with one stick in because i cant even get into bios with 2 sticks in, will the computer start okay if the timings dont work

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Loosening the timings certainly won't cause a boot problem, but in case it doesn't fix the ability to boot with 2 sticks, you can always remove the second and get back to where you were.

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
okay the CAS#latency is CL=2.5 already but which other ones do i change this is what it shows

row cycle time=11 bus clock
row refresh cyc time=13 bus clock
ras# to cas delay=4 bus clock
row to row delay=3 bus clycle
min ras# active time=8 bus clock
row precharge time=3 bus clock
write recovery time=3 bus clock
write to read delay=2 bus clock
read to write delay=4 bus clock
refresh period=2x3120 cycles
enable 2t timming=auto

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, it's spelled "crucial".