question regarding adding memory

arandomguy

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2005
Hey all,
been reading THG for a while now, but didn't really look in the forums. Turns out it's another gold mine of info. Anyway, I have a asus a7v8x-x with a stick of apacer 512mb pc2700 ram. The CPU is Athlon 2000+. Looked through my bios and the fsb is running at 133. So i guess that means my ram is running at 266? My video card is a radeon 9000 pro (couldn't afford anything better when i was putting this thing together). Anyway, I was playing KOTOR and KOTOR2 and noticed that there were some spots where the game was really choppy. If I had to choose to upgrade either the memory (add another stick) or upgrade the video card, which would have the greater effect? The thing with memory is that I've seen a stick of PC3200 advertised for $55 CAD. So should I go with that or spend some more on a better video card? I won't be overclocking anything (i can't afford to replace stuff if things burnout).

Duty is Honour, and the Price of Honour is Blood

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, get the video card. A Radeon 9550 isn't that expensive, but try to find one with a 128-bit, rather than 64-bit, memory interface. Don't get confused with MB, you can get these cards as a 128MB 128-bit or 128MB 64-bit version.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>