Ask idea

sundaresan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hello,I like to download nvidia graphics drive for my laptop. my laptop is sony vaio E series vpceh25en. os is window 7 ultimate 64 bit how to search or download this driver.

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Open your Start Menu > Type "Device Manager" and open it > Expand the Display Adapters and you should have an nVidia card that shows there.

Then go to nVidia's site and look for drivers for the card, download and install it.

Hi :)

NO..... do NOT GIVE THAT ADVICE...THIS IS A LAPTOP...

With laptops you get the drivers from the manufacturers site ONLY....

All the best Brett :)

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I always get my drivers straight from nvidia or ati's sites, regardless if it's a laptop...I don't know what you've ran into, but they always works perfectly for me (if not better than what the manufacturer suggests, since they're usually old drivers).

Mind you, I've only owned Dell's; never had a Sony.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - I've worked in IT for a while and all our workstations are loaded with drivers from nVidia or ATI's sites as well (and yes, they're all Dell Laptops).

So I don't see how this could be bad advice.

I own a laptop repair company...thats probably the worst advice I have ever seen on here for laptops...

Yes your advice WILL work SOMETIMES...

MOST times your advice will cause a non start or no graphics on reboot...we get lappies like this in ALL THE TIME...

I own a laptop repair company...thats probably the worst advice I have ever seen on here for laptops...

Yes your advice WILL work SOMETIMES...

MOST times your advice will cause a non start or no graphics on reboot...we get lappies like this in ALL THE TIME...

^
+1

Especially with Sony equipment. I can't remember when I've seen a more incompatible pile of excrement than Sony.

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I highly doubt it. Maybe people are installing the wrong drivers...doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work. They're made for a specific card running on a specific OS. Same card on different manufacturer systems won't be any different, they're all OEM nVidia/ATI cards.

You obviously dont work on laptops a lot...

MOST laptops have graphics CHIPS .....NOT cards....

The ones that do have cards are rarer and they are NOT the same as the equivalent pci card for a tower...you CANNOT just go to ati or nvidia and load drivers.... for either (chips or cards)

Not unless you want to end up paying someone like me to sort it out afterwards.....

So Brett I'm curious. Why do nvidia/ati list mobile graphics drivers on their websites?

For a very few of the later CARDS ...not chips...

And you wouldnt catch any pro who fixes lappies using them lol...its a VERY GOOD way to incur an extra few hours labour (at our own cost) reloading Windows... etc..

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

When I said cards, I meant chips. Small oversight. Why are you focusing on that anyways, not like that's the kicker here...

Now according to your latest post, you're clearly as clueless as I thought. For a very few of their later cards...? Yea, except they have drivers for every single mobile chip and card they put out...great analysis.

Either you're stuck in some old ways, or you're just really ignorant. Of the 50 or so laptops I've worked on (sure, it's not many), with a wide range of nvidia and ati GPU's, not a single one has had any sort of video driver issues. They were all loaded with drivers straight from those sites. There's no reason for them not to work, and you can't seem to actually prove this, so I'm sticking to my advice.

sundaresan: You can get the drivers from either nVidia's or Sony's site. It doesn't matter which you choose, they'll both work as long as you choose the right one for your OS and your GPU.

Total rubbish ...NONE of my engineers will ever use any drivers that didnt come from the manufacturer of the Laptops site... in the OP`s CASE... Sony support...

And we fix THOUSANDS a year....some of them ancient , some of them new...but same answer on both...

I also want to know the more technical side to this aswell. I'm not really doubting your judgement but simply saying "my engineers will never use this method" doesn't prove any point at all.

I mean do the laptop companies modify the cards firmware/bios and that cause wonky things to happen when the drivers see a (insert gpu) and it turns out to be a (insert same gpu with modified firmware)

Thats the only thing I can think of.

bignastyid

Titan
On the last 3 of my personal laptops and the many I have worked on since nvidia started offering laptop drivers, I have had very few problems using the drivers from Nvidia's website, I have found any nvidia card made in the last 2-3 years the nvidia drivers work just fine, any older and its a coin toss. The problem I had with the laptop manufactures is they never updated the darn things after they stopped shipping the laptop which leads to innumerable issues when gaming. Before Nvidia and AMD offered the drivers I used laptopvideo2go with much success.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Anytime i had to upgrade drivers on laptops and even name brand PC's i always go to the PC manufacture. With self built, obviously the component manufacture drivers are the place to go. Occasionally with PC's if there is a particular manufacture (like Nvidia) part if there's a model number i'll go to the site for that. Too many problems with installing the wrong drivers so i'm careful on what i download.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Ok both sides are right. And I'm going to explain Why.

It should always be first step to look for a Manufacturer driver. The sole reason (and why Brett has had to fix broken displays due to drivers in the past) Is that Manufacturers are known for customizing their hardware and adding/changing the drivers. Because of those changes (solely depends on a laptop to laptop basis, hence why some of you say IVE NEVER had this problem) installing a driver from Nvidia or ATI is not recommended if the manufacturer driver is available. A large majority of the time thou a Nvidia or ATI driver will work just fine. The issues only happen when there have been add ons or customization to the hardware/driver.

Example: Had an Toshiba that had a graphics display pop up box. When you installed a Nvidia driver that box would be blank and eventually crash. With a manufacturer driver it ran just fine ;)

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Ok, this makes sense. I suppose the reason it works for the laptops I've worked on is because they're either loaded with our company's custom Windows images, or a fresh Windows installation. I've never left a Dell image on any of the computers I've worked with including my own laptops.

If it's loaded with all the original software/junk that the company (Dell, Sony, etc..) loads on top of Windows, I suppose there's a good chance of those OEM drivers not working quite properly.

In this case, I would agree with you Brett; assuming sundaresan hasn't re-installed a fresh copy of Windows.