NEC EA191M - a good monitor?

soulburner

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I am looking for a good LCD flat panel display and recently I have seen a friend's NEC 1990Fxp (PVA). I was amazed with the picture quality, view angles and intensity of the black color.

I decided I want to have a NEC too, but a little cheaper one. I've found EA191M - http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews_tft1624.html
It looks nice, uses the PVA technology and can reduce the backlight intensity to 60% in power saving mode - which would not only save power, but guarantee good picture quality with lower brightness.

But... the main problem with EA191M is that there are no reviews - no PC websites reviewed it and no users on hundreds of forums I've browsed haven't either. So I decided it would be good to ask - perhaps someone checked this monitor out in a shop, or works at a shop and can verify it?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

It's doubtful any site will officially review this product since most people are looking for 22" or 24" LCD monitors. Additionally, I don't believe this product has actually gone on sale yet. Sometimes it takes 2 - 3 month (or more) for a product to hit the stores once it has been announced. I know the article stated it was available as of it's published dated, but no shop in Euro has it in stock.

The whole "environmental" talk is merely propaganda, my 5 year old 19" Planar PX191 is rated at 40w typical power consumption and 2w or less on standby. That's for a product which was released over 6 years ago. Lowering the brightness will reduce power consumption for any monitor and is typically necessary anyway since default brightness on nearly all LCD monitors are too bright anyway.

At 319.00 Euro incl. VAT, it doesn't sound too far off from the price of the 22" Lenovo ThinkVision L220x (list price + VAT = 385) which is rare and unique in it's own way compared to most other 22" LCD monitors. It is rare because the it does use a S-PVA panel, the only other brand who has 22" S-PVA LCD monitors is Eizo. Eizo is best known for high quality monitors (and high prices too) since they are geared for the "pro-sumers" and graphics professionals. It is unique in that it is the only 22" LCD monitor with 1920 x 1200 native resolution. The downside is that text may seem a bit tiny.

In the L220x originally sold for around $475 - $500 in the US, but I've seen it for a low as $360 (not a special sale, and no rebate involed). Perhaps the price has also dropped in Europe. Anywaste, below is a link to a review at Prad.de:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-lenovo-l220x.html

soulburner

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, the 22" monitor you suggested is too expensive where I live, and also I don't really need a 22 inch display, especialy with such high native resolution. It is an interesting beast, though ;)

The 19" NEC EA191M I originally asked about is available in quite a few online shops (in stock) and... well, that's the major problem - I can't see it before I buy it and I'd like to _not_ have the trouble of sending it back and fighting for my money :p

Also, this monitor does not cost over 300 Euros, it's actually around 270.

nummero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hello,

I have also a similar issue - finding an entry-level monitor for photo retouching in Adobe Photoshop that would deliver good colors, and would fit within my (tight) budget of max 350 Euro.

This NEC EA191M looks quite good, but I was not able to find any independent tests on the net. Does anybody have one to share experience? Many thanks.

Peter

Other already considered, but are out of my price range:
- Dell 2007FP (20", 1600 x 1200, panel S-IPS/S-PVA)
- Fujitsu-Siemens P19-3 (19", 1280x1024, panel S-PVA)
- NEC 1990 (FX or SX, 19", 1280x1024, panel S-PVS)
- Viewsonic VP930 (19", 1280x1024, PVA)

yeast

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
NEC 1990FX Vs NEC 1990FXp

1990FX is supposed to be S-IPS, whilst 1990FXp is S-PVA

1990FXp has much thinner bezel, very attractive monitor

Based on the results of http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

The 1990FXp has by far the best sensitivity to tone - ideal for serious B/W photography - all test highlights and shadows visible (and I mean all - awesome!!!).

The 1990FX was a little disappointing on the highlight and shadow test, only distinguishing up to 251 and 15 respectively. I altered black point (option on monitor menu), but this only shifted values along - so increase in shadow sensitivity resulted in decrease in highlight sensitivity.

On basis of my photographic use, I prefer the 1990FXp, which surprises me, as I'd heard great reviews of S-IPS. I can't tell much difference in viewing angles between the two...

Still, nowadays (2011), both of these excellent monitors can be picked up for peanuts on ebay (<£50), so for a fraction of the price of a new wide screen (which frankly I find a difficult format to use for photography), you can try both out yourself and have cash to spare for beer.