DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I read that memory errors are more likely to occur when ram set to Async instead of Sync.

Informed that the reason the "New" menu goes missing, occasionaly when I instal drivers is usually a memory error.

PC setup as follows.
2.4D 478 Cel, Asus P4S800-MX, 256DDR 3200 Ram.

I have tried this setting first- 167/33 and it runs OK, reported a CPU of 3019.

Ram set to 200MHz and Sync changed to Async. Bandwith between CPU and northbridge 167*4*64 (64 bit interface IIRC) = +/- 5 GB/s. Single channel, so memory bandwith would be: 2,7 GB/s @ 167 MHz or 3,2 GB/s @ 200 MHz.

ie. If changed back to Sync, ram will not run at full speed.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you drunk? I can barely read what you've written.

If you change it to synch, the RAM runs the same speed as the CPU. So at synch, if you set the CPU to 200 bus, you'll set the RAM to 200 bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
:lol:

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
He He, now that I've read it again.

No not drunk, too much said in one post :)

Your post is as I thought by my calculations, it'll run faster in Async at the bus setting I have at the moment.

Told otherwise the other day by another person who should know better.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

G

:smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>