G

Hey guys,
So I'm not a console gamer, I have a PS3, but i just use it for media. That aside, a buddy of mine has an old x-box 360 with a 3-ring RRoD (i think they call it e74), and since the warranty's gone, he didnt care if i tore the thing up to try to fix it. After stripping it down to the mainboard, I removed the heatsinks on the GPU and CPU and applied new thermal paste. I also put some little aluminum gpu ram coolers on the systems ram, fired it back up... no good. Reading around I found the "Towel Trick" which involves overheating the system. The idea was that one of the many pins on the CPU/GPU melted during extremely hot operation, and by overheating it again would allow the pin to re-melt and meld back into place. I used a hair dryer to spot heat the motherboard with no avail.

Basically, is there anyone who'se been toying around with the same thing that had any success? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys,
So I'm not a console gamer, I have a PS3, but i just use it for media. That aside, a buddy of mine has an old x-box 360 with a 3-ring RRoD (i think they call it e74), and since the warranty's gone, he didnt care if i tore the thing up to try to fix it. After stripping it down to the mainboard, I removed the heatsinks on the GPU and CPU and applied new thermal paste. I also put some little aluminum gpu ram coolers on the systems ram, fired it back up... no good. Reading around I found the "Towel Trick" which involves overheating the system. The idea was that one of the many pins on the CPU/GPU melted during extremely hot operation, and by overheating it again would allow the pin to re-melt and meld back into place. I used a hair dryer to spot heat the motherboard with no avail.

Basically, is there anyone who'se been toying around with the same thing that had any success? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe try this? ----> RRoD fix?

G

The "towel fix" works, but only lasts for a few months, the best way is to do what i did,
Put that one on ebay, and get £40 for it, and buy a new one.
Then someone else can try the towel trick for a few months and it will be their problem, and not yours :D