Missing icons in Start Menu "All Programs"

Since installing some minor items this week, all of the items previously
found under "All Programs" within the Start menu have disappeared. What
happened, how do I fix it, and how do I start programs that used to be there
but also have no desktop icon? Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks, Leon

Start Menu 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9470C01E-77A4-4E4F-A1F1-907BC772DEC8@microsoft.com,
Leon Myerson <LeonMyerson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Since installing some minor items this week, all of the items previously
> found under "All Programs" within the Start menu have disappeared. What
> happened, how do I fix it, and how do I start programs that used to be
> there but also have no desktop icon? Any help would be appreciated.
> -Thanks, Leon

Thanks for your response. I tried this but it didn't work. Is there any way
to just tell Windows to scan for all installed programs and rebuild the "All
Programs" listing?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Start Menu 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
> menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:9470C01E-77A4-4E4F-A1F1-907BC772DEC8@microsoft.com,
> Leon Myerson <LeonMyerson@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Since installing some minor items this week, all of the items previously
> > found under "All Programs" within the Start menu have disappeared. What
> > happened, how do I fix it, and how do I start programs that used to be
> > there but also have no desktop icon? Any help would be appreciated.
> > -Thanks, Leon

return682

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Since installing some minor items this week, all of the items previously
found under "All Programs" within the Start menu have disappeared. What
happened, how do I fix it, and how do I start programs that used to be there
but also have no desktop icon? Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks, Leon

Start your own thread and it will remain open long enough to resolve this issue - necro posting usually gets closed down quite quickly.

You have a malware infection which has hidden files, folders and shortcuts you can usually see. Start off at http://www.malwarebytes.com and download MalwareBytes, install and update it then restart into Safe Mode with Networking, check for further updates and run the Full Scan. At the end, click on Show Results and then on Remove Selected then restart into Normal Mode, click on MBAM's Logs tab and copy and paste the log back here for more assistance.