Naval games

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

I'm looking for a set of rules for fantasy naval battles, or a set of
historic rules that could be converted to fantasy. I've found Pirates!
by Flagship Games which I really like, but I don't like how the scale is
handled. I would prefer something in 25mm (although if everything is in
proper scale this might be a bit impractical), but 15mm is good too. I
would prefer a game for small battles involving maybe a few ships per
person. I'm not looking for something where each player controls a huge
fleet of ships. I would also prefer if the game had the crew acting as
separate entities (like in Pirates!) rather then just be a statistic for
the ship (like in Man-O-War). If there are no such rules then is there a
range of 25mm ships that would make good replacements those made by
Flagship Games (better scale and design)?

Michael
--
http://www.gamersguildonline.com
- My online gaming and collectibles store

http://www.members.fortunecity.com/mtbedwards/index.html
- My personal web site

"The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to
the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety."

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

What don't you like about the way scale is handled in the Pirates! game? weapon
ranges? Sailing speed? Number of troops?

Have you looked at GW's recent rules for naval actions, including amphibious
and boarding actions? They also give pretty good directions for
scratch-building your own ships on their website, and in White Dwarf.

Jeff Moore
jpattern@aol.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

The ships seem a bit small, it's makes the 25mm crew look a little too
big, especially on the larger ships. Plus, it looks weird having a Great
Galleon with only 3 cannons on each broadside above deck, and only one
cannon per broadside below deck. I know that an accurate representation
of a ship in 25mm would be difficult (the ships would have to be huge
and you would have to buy a lot of ordnance and crew) which is why I'm
thinking 15mm may be better (as long as the crew can act independently,
maybe in small groups). But if there is something available in 25mm,
apart from Pirates!, I'd like to know about it. If not then I guess I
can live with the Flagship Games ships (like I said I really like the
game itself).

As for GW, I'd rather stay as far away from GW stuff as possible. I'm
not a big fan of their work, or the company itself for that matter. I
would like to take a look at their directions for scratch-built ships
though. I had a look on the GW web site and I couldn't find anything
about it. Do you have a link?

Michael

--

"Michael Edwards" <mtbedwards@rogers.com> wrote in message
> The ships seem a bit small, it's makes the 25mm crew look a little too
> big, especially on the larger ships. Plus, it looks weird having a Great
> Galleon with only 3 cannons on each broadside above deck, and only one
> cannon per broadside below deck. I know that an accurate representation
> of a ship in 25mm would be difficult (the ships would have to be huge
> and you would have to buy a lot of ordnance and crew) which is why I'm
> thinking 15mm may be better (as long as the crew can act independently,
> maybe in small groups). But if there is something available in 25mm,
> apart from Pirates!, I'd like to know about it. If not then I guess I
> can live with the Flagship Games ships (like I said I really like the
> game itself).
>
> As for GW, I'd rather stay as far away from GW stuff as possible. I'm
> not a big fan of their work, or the company itself for that matter. I
> would like to take a look at their directions for scratch-built ships
> though. I had a look on the GW web site and I couldn't find anything
> about it. Do you have a link?

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/boats/boat.htm

Here you go..even though there planks on the deck are in the wrong
direction..

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

IR wrote: "even though there planks on the deck are in the wrong direction.."

Hahaha! I thought I was the only one who noticed that! I keep asking people,
"What's wrong with this picture?" Most of the lubbers know there's something
wrong, but can't quite put their fingers on it . . .

Jeff Moore
jpattern@aol.com

"Jpattern" <jpattern@aol.com> wrote in message
> IR wrote: "even though there planks on the deck are in the wrong
direction.."

> Hahaha! I thought I was the only one who noticed that! I keep asking
people,
> "What's wrong with this picture?" Most of the lubbers know there's
something
> wrong, but can't quite put their fingers on it . . .

Not many people know much about ships now a days

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.misc (More info?)

Michael:

Have you taken a look at the Old Glory site. They carry the Merrimack Line
of 25mm ships under the Old Glory Shipyard name.
There three pirate ships:
The Man of War - this is 40 gun ship, includes the guns, 30 crew for the
lower deck and Helmsman.
The Black Cutlass - This is 26 gun ship (also includes the gun) and 30
skelton crew
The Brigantine - a 10 gun ship (includes the guns) and Helmsman
All three ships include ship fittings.

Joel
Merrimack Miniatures/Old Glory Shipyard