Sign in with
Your question

Monitor goes Black

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 22, 2008 7:33:56 PM

I need help.

I have an old Dell P990 CRT Monitor. Every once in a while (time range varies), my monitor will go black. It usually happens during games but also happened at the login screen after the windows logo. I've tried updating Direct X and my Video Card Drivers.

I also recently changed my motherboard and cpu. Would this be a likely source of the problem?

When the monitor goes black, the light stays green for about 2s and then goes to orange. Everything seems to be working fine until the monitor goes blank. I can usually get it working again for a while once I unplug the monitor cable from the back of my video card and plug it back in. My 8800GTS is running at about 58-62 degrees Celsius.

Has anybody run into a similar problem or have advice?

I'm thinking about checking my disks for errors. I just did a virus scan last night when the problem first happened.

This is very frustrating because it doesn't give an error message and I don't really know how to trouble shoot.

What is the most likely source of the problem.

Edit: It seems to be happening right after I log on or right after the windows logo each time. I don't know how to fix it. I can't get into safe mode because my keyboard does not start up fast enough. I'm trying to hit F8.

More about : monitor black

a b C Monitor
August 23, 2008 1:45:20 AM

Sounds like a video card issue to me, but the way to be sure is to try it with a different monitor if you have one.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2009 10:07:36 AM

I had the same problem i was scanning my compute with Nod32 and i tried stopping it,, it just continued on so i shut my computer down and it seemed to be working fine. I then began playing Team Fortress 2, i noticed that when loading the map it was taking excessively longer then usual so i restarte again and that is when the black screen began to occur. I tried a different monitor (nothing) i cleaned my graphics card still nothing. does anyone think it could be something different e.g. power etc.. Plese help me fix it rather then buying a new graphics card.
Related resources
July 21, 2011 11:37:24 AM

i also had a same problem..............
i change the VGA cable for it but the problem is same in that monitor ...
the rest of the system works fine wid another monitor
any one hv any idea about monitor hardware that which parts is cause for this problem .????
i also changed the power section's BU for it ......but problem is same
when i connect the vga cable to motherboard ....the monitor's green light is off
and when i unpluged it .....it again green
i serach the net for this kind of problem but nothing find dfds
October 14, 2011 8:12:56 AM

i had the same problem too sorry i cant help u
!