Is the HP Pavilion 9650 a good computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCML27

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I just ordered this from Future Shop today for $399.99. I wanted to know if this is a good deal from some of the more tech savvy members? I will use it mainly for net surfing, listening to music and watching videos online, downloading, and burning. I am not a gamer, so will not be using it for that purpose. My present computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.6GHz. The HP is an AMD Phenom X4 2.3GHz. Would the HP still be faster because it is a quad core? Sorry if the question sounds stupid, but I'm not really that knowledgeable with computers.

Should I worry that the computer is refurbished and only has a 90 day warranty? Would it be more prone to having problems or breaking down sooner than a brand new computer? If they offer an extended warranty, is it a good idea to get it just because it's a refurbished unit? If it doesn't come with the Windows Vista CD, then how would you reload the program when you have problems and have to start from scratch? Is this refurbished computer also eligible for the free Windows 7 upgrade, and would it be advisable to do the upgrade? Does Future Shop give the same 30 day return/refund policy with refurbished items if I have problems with it or don't like it?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...135613&catid=#

*Refurbished. This HP Pavilion desktop PC is packing a very powerful AMD Phenom X4 processor and 8GB of DDR2 SDRAM that's expandable up to head spinning 16GB. A 640GB hard drive offers plenty of storage for your media. And a host of other great features ensure productivity and great digital entertainment. More Info
WebID: 10135613
Mfr. Part Number: NP218AAR#ABA
Base Features
Processor Type AMD Phenom X4 9650
Processor Speed 2.3 GHz
RAM 8 MB DDR2
Hard Drive Speed/Capacity 640 GB (7200 RPM) SATA
Optical Drives Super Multi LightScribe DVD Burner
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9100
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Graphics
Dedicated Video Memory No
Shared Video Memory Yes - Up To 1407 MB
TV Tuner No
Video Memory 256 MB
Display
HDCP Compliant Not Applicable
Native Screen Resolution Not Applicable
Screen Size/Type Not Applicable
Audio
Audio Output High Definition, 8 Speaker Configurable
Digital Input Yes
Digital Output Yes
Integrated Microphone No
Line Out Yes
Line-In input Yes
Microphone Input Yes
Sound Card Information Not Available
Speaker Wattage Not Applicable
Speakers No
Networking
Ethernet Port 10/100 Ethernet
Integrated Bluetooth No
Integrated WiFi No
Inputs/Outputs
Card Reader 15-In-1
Component Output No
Composite Output No
DVI Output Yes
E-SATA No
FireWire (IEEE 1394) 1 - Back
HDMI No
Keyboard HP USB
Modem No
Mouse HP USB Optical
Remote No
S-Video Output No
USB 2.0 6 - 2 Front, 4 Back
VGA Output Yes
Webcam No
Computing Features
Available AGP Slots No
Available Hard Drive Bays 1 External 3.5" (Available), 2 Internal 3.5" (1 Available)
Available Memory Slots 4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (Occupied)
Available Optical Bays 2 External 5.25" (1 Available)
Available PCI Slots No
Available PCI-E Slots No
Power Supply Information Not Available
Processor Cache 2 MB L2, 2 MB Shared L3
Removable Storage No
System Bus 3600 MHz
Software
Loaded Software 1
Loaded Software 2
Loaded Software 3
Loaded Software 4
Operating System Language English
Product Features
Tower Depth 38.91 cm
Tower Height 42.80 cm
Tower Width 17.70 cm
Warranty Labour 90 Days
Warranty Parts 90 Day
Tower Weight 4.42 kg

More Information

FEATURES:

* An AMD Phenom X4 9650 Processor and 8GB DDR2 SDRAM combine to offer incredibly fast and efficient system performance, allowing you to run several demanding applications simultaneously
* Store all your music, videos, pictures, documents and more on the sizeable 640GB hard drive
* Burn your own DVDs with the Super Multi DVD drive, then create your own customized labels using LightScribe Technology
* Enjoy impressive cinematic performance thanks to NVIDIA GeForce 9100 graphics
* 6 USB ports let you connect a wide array of external devices
* Transfer data to and from your portable digital devices with the 15-in-1 digital memory card reader
* This model comes equipped with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition

Solution
It's an OK computer. It will be a nice upgrade from the P4 2.6GHz Dell.
For how you describe you'll use the computer a higher clocked dual core CPU would probably be faster than than the X4 2.3Ghz CPU. But the quad core X4 9650 will be 'fast enough'.

Refurbished / 90 day warranty. If it's not been damaged in shipping it should have no greater or lesser chance of failing than any other HP computer of the SAME age. A new computer would likely last longer and be more reliable.
Extended warranties are NEVER a good idea.

Windows 7 upgrade - not available.

Vista CD - call and ask FutureShop.
30 day return/refund policy - call and ask FutureShop.
It's an OK computer. It will be a nice upgrade from the P4 2.6GHz Dell.
For how you describe you'll use the computer a higher clocked dual core CPU would probably be faster than than the X4 2.3Ghz CPU. But the quad core X4 9650 will be 'fast enough'.

Refurbished / 90 day warranty. If it's not been damaged in shipping it should have no greater or lesser chance of failing than any other HP computer of the SAME age. A new computer would likely last longer and be more reliable.
Extended warranties are NEVER a good idea.

Windows 7 upgrade - not available.

Vista CD - call and ask FutureShop.
30 day return/refund policy - call and ask FutureShop.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.