USB compatibility

July 21, 2005 9:31:02 PM

I connect to my mobile for internet access through a USB cable. There is no
problem in installation of hardware and USB modem. When I connect to the
internet, the bytes sent/recieve per sec is 0 kb/s. Which means no data
transfer is happening. I tried the same cable, mobile with two other machines
(one desktop with win XP, other laptop with winXP pro). It is working well
without any problem. What I noticed is that, desktop has "dell" manufactured
USB controller and laptop has "Intel" USB controller. And in my laptop, I
have a "NEC" manufactured USB controller. I understand, that there is a
compatability issue between USB device and the USB cable drivers. Further to
it, when data transfer does not happen and I try to disconnect, it takes a
very long time for the Rconnect application to close. This is not the case
with other computers. As soon as I remove USB cable, application closes very
quickly with out any problem. To ensure that I have a non-defective USB port,
I tried attaching other devices like webcam, key board etc and they are
working fine. I know the problem that it is a compatability issue as
communication between the USB port and USB hardware cable and I think it can
be resolved through building compatible drivers. I dont know how to do this.
Any help?...highly appreciated.

More about : usb compatibility

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:04:27 AM

I am not sure that I am understanding this correctly but I beleive you are
saying that your internet connection (via the mobile) is not working when
connected to "the problem computer" via the USB cable.

There are no drivers for a USB cable and I am not aware of compatibility
issues between cables and USB ports (though I may have misunderstood you
here.) Only the device has drivers and it may not work the same on all
computers. The fact that you are getting some response (the computer
recognizes an internet connection) when you plug in your mobile says to me
the basic connection from the mobile to the actual computer is working.
There is more likely something going on with drivers for the actual device
itself or even something else funky on the computer.

Here are some questions...

Are you running XP on the problem computer? What is the manufacturer of the
moble? Does any kind of internet connection work with the problem computer?

You might try booting into safemode with networking support and see if you
get different behavior. You could of course also make sure you are
installing the latest drivers for the Mobile (or whatever device is giving
you the internet connection.)

--
http://www.americantechie.com

!