Removal of KB885250 Hotfix from Windows XP SP2

July 21, 2005 10:05:12 PM

Hello,

I have a new computer with Windows XP SP2. Hotfix KB885250 is
installed. When I go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, and when
I select this Hotfix to remove it, there is no Remove button. Instead,
there is a message that says this update cannot be removed. So, how
can I remove this update?

The reason I want to remove it is because it creates problems when
networking, via workgroups, to a Windows 98 machine. I cannot save
files to the Windows 98 machine. Usenet messages say that this has to
do with KB885250. My personal experience is that this is indeed the
case. I have another machine running XP, on which I could remove this
hotfix through Control Panel. Removal of the hotfix indeed solved the
problem.

I noticed in the Windows directory, there is a $hf_mig$ folder. In it
is a folder for KB885250. Does something in this folder offer a path
for removing this hotfix?

karlo
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:31:05 AM

On 21 Jul 2005 18:05:12 -0700, karlo@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a new computer with Windows XP SP2. Hotfix KB885250 is
> installed. When I go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, and when
> I select this Hotfix to remove it, there is no Remove button. Instead,
> there is a message that says this update cannot be removed. So, how
> can I remove this update?
>
> The reason I want to remove it is because it creates problems when
> networking, via workgroups, to a Windows 98 machine. I cannot save
> files to the Windows 98 machine. Usenet messages say that this has to
> do with KB885250. My personal experience is that this is indeed the
> case. I have another machine running XP, on which I could remove this
> hotfix through Control Panel. Removal of the hotfix indeed solved the
> problem.
>
> I noticed in the Windows directory, there is a $hf_mig$ folder. In it
> is a folder for KB885250. Does something in this folder offer a path
> for removing this hotfix?

To manually remove execute spuninst.exe at
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB885250$\spuninst.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 22, 2005 5:54:56 AM

did u read the kb article ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885250

and follow the link to the fix ? kb895900

<karlo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a new computer with Windows XP SP2. Hotfix KB885250 is
> installed. When I go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, and when
> I select this Hotfix to remove it, there is no Remove button. Instead,
> there is a message that says this update cannot be removed. So, how
> can I remove this update?
>
> The reason I want to remove it is because it creates problems when
> networking, via workgroups, to a Windows 98 machine. I cannot save
> files to the Windows 98 machine. Usenet messages say that this has to
> do with KB885250. My personal experience is that this is indeed the
> case. I have another machine running XP, on which I could remove this
> hotfix through Control Panel. Removal of the hotfix indeed solved the
> problem.
>
> I noticed in the Windows directory, there is a $hf_mig$ folder. In it
> is a folder for KB885250. Does something in this folder offer a path
> for removing this hotfix?
>
> karlo

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:58:52 PM

I do not have this folder. What I have is a KB8852350 folder in
C:\windows\$hf_mig$ directory. Inside the KB885250 folder is a spunist
file. Can someone please confirm that executing this is the thing to
do? When I tried, I got a warning message that executing this file
uninstalls Windows (a message something like that)

karlo
!