Turtle Beach

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I know the Turtle beach Santa Cruz is hard to find so i wonder if any of you have tried the other Turtle Beach cards?Catalina?Rivera? and what your thoughts of them are?
I'm looking for a sub 50 dollar card to go with the
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers im about to order they will be used mostly for music,dvd,and light gaming.
Here is the Turtle Beach link.
Thanks for any input :)
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/

Lance

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
unless you are going to be doing some high quality recording you dont need anyhthing better than what comes onboard with your motherboard.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Lance

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Thanks for the replies.
My onboard sound sucks to be frank.
AC97 Codes Alc658 Realtek AC97 audio.
My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 v2.0 i875P

Lance

cookingfrags

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
you'll probably be happy with a Turtle Beach. but i'd just be wary about the watching DVDs part. i'm pretty sure Dolby can be done in software and passed through the card, it just doesn't have a hardware Dolby spec.

since you'll only be doing light gaming, you can probably do without newer EAX specs.

Macel

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Be careful about the other turtle beach cards, as they rely heavily on the CPU to do some of the sound processing... Which equates to less CPU for your software. If you're a gamer I would stay away from them, an audigy would probably be wiser (unfortunately). If you're not a gamer, they could be worth it as turtle beach sound quality is top notch. Don't settle for motherboard sound in any case - you CAN tell the difference, and even a cheapo sound card improves on that.

cookingfrags

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
also, be aware that Turtle Beach hasn't (and i think won't) release any new drivers for the Santa Cruz and possibly the other lines of sound cards. so if it doesnt install well with OEM drivers and the latest driver, or you were hoping for some new features every once in a while...look else where.