Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Forward Planning: Win 7 (XP Home OEM + Win 7 Upgrade?)

Tags:
  • OEM
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 7, 2009 9:28:34 PM

So I am working on building another PC within the next few months, and I decided to forward plan on the OS since the discounts are still in place.

I was hoping to cut costs in any way I can, and was wondering if you all thought an OEM XP Home purchase plus the Win 7 Home Upgrade made sense. The savings aren't enormous, but they are there. I only ask because I've been out of the building game for a few years (last one was 8 years ago) so I am feeling insecure about my choices, especially on such a compressed timeframe (July 11th for the big discounts).

More about : forward planning win home oem win upgrade

July 7, 2009 9:44:36 PM

Why not just buy Vista Home Premium and get the Free upgrade to Windows 7?
Score
July 7, 2009 9:54:48 PM

1. You purchase a qualifying Windows Vista Upgrade Option SKU from your Authorized Microsoft Distributor (Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate with an accompanying Upgrade Option offer form).

2. Preinstall this qualifying Windows Vista operating system on a PC.

3. Sell the PC during the eligibility period and give the Upgrade Option offer form to the customer. The customer visits a fulfillment Web site to order a Windows 7 upgrade at no additional cost. Microsoft will manage the Web site upgrade requests and media fulfillment process for the program.

4. After Windows 7 is released and available, the customer will receive from Microsoft a comparable version of Windows 7 for installation on his or her PC.

Got it...
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2009 10:31:56 PM

Why bother with upgrade when you are building a new system?
Wait to purchase some of your harware untill Windows is available in stores and buy an OEM Windows 7 with your hardware.
I don't know what the requirements are in your country, I'm assuming US, contact one of the stores and ask what hardware you need to buy, to qualify for an OEM version.
Here in OZ stores vary anything from a $5 mouse, to a hard drive, or if a regular customer nothing but a previous purchase.
a b $ Windows 7
July 8, 2009 5:25:10 AM

It is not clear to me if microsoft has changed the way upgrade packages can be installed or not.
With Vista, you could buy an upgrade license, and get a fully supported retail build using the following procedure:
You install vista from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code.

Just tell the install which version you bought, and do not activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional vista for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the cd again, while running vista and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

This procedure is necessary to upgrade from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os.

Since windows-7 will need a clean full install if you are upgrading from XP, I don't know if they will use the same procedure. If the procedure is the same, don't worry about having an old OS. The old procedure of having to install the old OS cd apparently caused a lot of problems, and it was abandoned for vista.
Score