200gb hard drive not recognised in 'my computer'

I pulled my 200gb SATA drive from my crashed workstation (XP Pro) and install
in another desktop (XP Home). The BIOS properly identifies the drive, yet
Windows does not display it. I can locate the drive in Device Manager, but
the capacity 0.

In another thread (200gb hard drive not recognised in 'my comp', 3/14/2005),
I found suggestions that led me to Disk Management. The drive is present,
but listed as "foreign". I have considerable precious data on this drive, so
I am apprehensive about Converting to Basic Disk.

How to correct this condition/situation? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
-Sean-
5 answers Last reply
More about 200gb hard drive recognised computer

    You may need to take ownership of the drive.
    http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Leprechaun Sean" <LeprechaunSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8B1873DF-9326-4ACE-9CA8-4E7DDE60EBEB@microsoft.com...

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > You may need to take ownership of the drive.
    > http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    >
    > --
    > Ron Sommer

    Sean:
    The problem is not a matter of taking ownership of the drive. It's a bit
    more complicated than that. The basic problem is that the drive was
    apparently setup originally as a Dynamic disk. (Unfortunately, XP's Disk
    Management utility makes it all too easy for a disk to be designated as
    such, rather than Basic. Very, very few users need to create a Dynamic disk,
    but many, many users inadvertently select that option when they use the DM
    utility to partition/format their drives). When the drive was subsequently
    removed from the XP Pro system and installed in a XP Home system, it took on
    the designation of "foreign".

    In any event, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/4b6d9afa-0e0d-4afb-a42f-00c1154cb379.mspx
    for detailed information as to how you can convert the disk and hopefully
    salvage the data.
    Anna

    Thanks, Anna (and thanks for the effort, Ron);
    Because I cannot mount the drive, of course I cannot select any folder to
    take ownership of. <wry grin> The article you recommended was exactly what I
    needed - though I did not wish to see, "Converting a dynamic disk to a basic
    disk destroys all data on the disk"!

    That's all the incentive I need to convert the OS to XP Pro.

    Regards,
    -Sean-

    "Anna" wrote:

    > > "Leprechaun Sean" <LeprechaunSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:8B1873DF-9326-4ACE-9CA8-4E7DDE60EBEB@microsoft.com...
    > >>I pulled my 200gb SATA drive from my crashed workstation (XP Pro) and
    > >>install
    > >> in another desktop (XP Home). The BIOS properly identifies the drive,
    > >> yet
    > >> Windows does not display it. I can locate the drive in Device Manager,
    > >> but
    > >> the capacity 0.
    > >>
    > >> In another thread (200gb hard drive not recognised in 'my comp',
    > >> 3/14/2005),
    > >> I found suggestions that led me to Disk Management. The drive is
    > >> present,
    > >> but listed as "foreign". I have considerable precious data on this
    > >> drive, so
    > >> I am apprehensive about Converting to Basic Disk.
    > >>
    > >> How to correct this condition/situation? Any suggestions appreciated!
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> -Sean-
    >
    > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
    > > You may need to take ownership of the drive.
    > > http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ron Sommer
    >

    > Sean:
    > The problem is not a matter of taking ownership of the drive. It's a bit
    > more complicated than that. The basic problem is that the drive was
    > apparently setup originally as a Dynamic disk. (Unfortunately, XP's Disk
    > Management utility makes it all too easy for a disk to be designated as
    > such, rather than Basic. Very, very few users need to create a Dynamic disk,
    > but many, many users inadvertently select that option when they use the DM
    > utility to partition/format their drives). When the drive was subsequently
    > removed from the XP Pro system and installed in a XP Home system, it took on
    > the designation of "foreign".
    >
    > In any event, see
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/4b6d9afa-0e0d-4afb-a42f-00c1154cb379.mspx
    > for detailed information as to how you can convert the disk and hopefully
    > salvage the data.
    > Anna

    You might also consider while you are at it, purchasing
    a good backup program, so you would have been able
    to go to the backup image and get your, as you put it,
    "considerable precious data " back easily. If the drive
    had totally toasted, your options are far more limited.

    mikey

    "Leprechaun Sean" <LeprechaunSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:D0A6BEF6-E2D1-4E4D-AD5A-7D4D019D89A9@microsoft.com...

    "" wrote:
    > You might also consider while you are at it, purchasing
    > a good backup program, so you would have been able
    > to go to the backup image and get your, as you put it,
    > "considerable precious data " back easily. If the drive
    > had totally toasted, your options are far more limited.
    >
    > mikey
    >
    > "Leprechaun Sean" <LeprechaunSean@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in
    > message
    > > Thanks, Anna (and thanks for the effort, Ron);
    > > Because I cannot mount the drive, of course I cannot select
    > any folder to
    > > take ownership of. <wry grin> The article you recommended
    > was exactly
    > what I
    > > needed - though I did not wish to see, "Converting a dynamic
    > disk to a
    > basic
    > > disk destroys all data on the disk"!
    > >
    > > That's all the incentive I need to convert the OS to XP Pro.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > -Sean-

    > (XP Pro) and
    > identifies the
    > drive,
    > Device
    > Manager,

    > 'my comp',
    > The drive is
    > data on this

    > suggestions
    > appreciated!

    > > > "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

    > > > Sean:
    > > > The problem is not a matter of taking ownership of the
    > drive. It's a bit
    > > > more complicated than that. The basic problem is that the
    > drive was
    > > > apparently setup originally as a Dynamic disk.
    > (Unfortunately, XP's Disk
    > > > Management utility makes it all too easy for a disk to be
    > designated as
    > > > such, rather than Basic. Very, very few users need to
    > create a Dynamic
    > disk,
    > > > but many, many users inadvertently select that option when
    > they use the
    > DM
    > > > utility to partition/format their drives). When the drive
    > was
    > subsequently
    > > > removed from the XP Pro system and installed in a XP Home
    > system, it
    > took on
    > > > the designation of "foreign".
    > > >
    > > > In any event, see
    > > >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/4b6d9afa-0e0d-4afb-a42f-00c1154cb379.mspx
    > > > for detailed information as to how you can convert the
    > disk and
    > hopefully
    > > > salvage the data.
    > > > Anna

    I remerb i had this problem befor (i sorted it out in minuets) what
    you must do is right click the partion in disk manament, and there
    sould be an option to make it avalable, wish i coulde remerb which it
    is...

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-200gb-hard-drive-recognised-computer-ftopict399056.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318353

Hard Drives Windows XP