RAM oc questions

G

Hi all I have some questions about overclocking my RAM. I've got a Winchester 3200 on a DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D mobo. 1gb dual channel kit of OCZ pc4000 gold vx RAM and a FSP Blue Storm 500w psu. Ram is running as follows:
FSP bus Freq 260
LDT/FSB freq ratio x3.0
CPU/ FSB freq ratio x8.0
DRAM voltage @ 3.4v
DRAM freq set 200(DRAM/FSB:1/01)
Vcore @ 1.475v
timings 3-3-3-7-15-16
Now I can't seem to get the system to boot up with any higher freq than 260mhz. Any help would be appreciated, it just seems like I should be able to push it further than this.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

Not a huge OCer, but the OCZ VX is supposed to shine with 3.6V - 3.7V so try bumping the Vdimm up.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you want to save yourself some future headaches the first thing that I would do is find the limits of each individual compnonent. SOmething will of course limit how far you can overclock and its a big + to know which component that will be. So my first cut at this would be to find the max FSB that your board is capable of, then you find the max FSB that your CPU is capable of then the last thing would be to add the RAM to the equation. So you loosen the timmings and set the voltages all to stock then drop the multiplier and start bumping the FSB by 10 or maybe even 5 until you crash or get unstable then add l little more voltage and go until it gets unstable again. That will tell you what the Max FSB is. This way you will know fron the beiginning what each component is capable of. There are other things that need to be locked if your not sure what im talking about then PM me

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I'd imagine the main target market for these modules is those seeking 2-2-2 timings at ~DDR500+ speeds. How high can ya get with 2-2-2 timings?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I lock mine at 100, but never was sure what it should be locked at. Where did you get that info?

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

What setting do I change to loosen the 1t timing to 2t?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

G

Ok well I managed to push RAM up to 315mhz so far by upping the DRAM voltage to 3.8v, set timings to 3-4-4-7 set pci-e from 100mhz to 110mhz and dropped cpu multiplier to x4. Can't find the PCI setting for the life of me though... Gonna try to up cpu multiplier a bit to increase cpu speed.
edit: Command rate is still 1t, I still can't get system to boot @315 with a higher cpu multiplier than 4. Any ideas from anyone? Vcore is at 1.475v
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wraithfire on 04/12/05 10:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yes I am using ldt x3, stock cooling will try those timings 3-4-3-7

G

Bah no dice, still won't boot with cpu multiplier over 4.0 even with 3-4-3-7 timings and LDT x3. Have to go to work now pooh! :frown:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Not for boards that run Intel CPUs

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you dont lock that Pci setting not only could that be your problem but you could burn up some stuff.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I wish you would find some info on the other options in BIOS that are tied to the PCIexpress. There are about 5 others and I cant seem to find much info on them

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
It sounds like its his FSB doesnt it? Do they gert hot on these systems?

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

Apparently this mobo doesn't have an option to lock pci as confirmed by <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzE3LDI=" target="_new"> this </A> article (see the 8th paragraph down). You guys sure its a temp thing? Only cool air exhausts out the rear, and the heat sink is not even warm. is there anything else it could be?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The exaust will fool you. Make sure your grounded and touch the Northbridge. You wont be able to leave your hand on it ling if its overheating. If you have a digital thermometer, tough it to the Northbridge and post the temps,.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I guess your right, it doesnt look like it has a lock.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

It's not hot to the touch, but I do not have a digital thermometer. Maybe time to get one.

G

you know the board also has a setting to adjust the vcore start up voltage, apparantly this can overcome some cpu overclock failures. It's set to default ATM.

G

Actually, I had to before to even get it to boot up intially. Ok I will reset RAM to 315mhz and cpu with higher voltages. Here goes.

G

Damn, still no good. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? It just won't boot at that speed with more than x4 cpu multiplier. suppose I could just keep pushing the RAM up lol. Any other ideas?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Not to my knowledge. Im pretty sure that the bios adjusmnets are now independent of each other.

ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
TT 680W PSU

G

You know you guys may be right about the temps, I reset the cpu and RAM to the other settings LDTx4, cpu multiplier x8 RAM a2 250mhz @ 3.4v timings 2-2-2-6 1t and not only does it boot up ok, seems the PWM IC and chipset temps are significantly lower. Nearly 10 degrees in each. PWM is currenlty 39 and chipset is 38. Before they were registering 46 and 47, respectively. CPU temps seem about the same either way, any ideas on better cooling solutions for the PWM and chipset? And don't even mention water... :smile:

G

Apparently yes. I just upped the multipliert to x9 and now I'm running at 2250 mhz. What do you think?

G

In fact I just upped the cpu multiplier to x10, and it's running ok with cpu temps stable at 33 to 34 degrees.