pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I have a VNF3-250 A64 2800+....i want to add more RAM. I know its not a Dual Channel board so i dont have to worry about that. i was going to add some OCZ.

If i run the RAM out of sync with the cpu how bad is that? I know that it should run 1:1 but can i run it 2:3? or something and run my memory higher without raising my cpu speed as it will not OC well.
Also if i can run my memory at DDR475 and i wanted to use the booster to get my memory voltage to the 3.6 they reccomend......would putting it in my 3rd slot make everything go down to DDR333 as if it were a 3rd stick of RAM?

Thanx

RichPLS

Champion
I am apprehensive about this device.
<A HREF="http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=DDRBoostermobocompatibility" target="_new"> Check compatability</A>, since it does not work on all boards.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Its actually the other way around.
My cpu will not OC to anywhere near PC4000 levels. i wanted to run my RAM faster then my cpu.

Two sticks of Ballistix.....one stick of quality PC4000....not cheap.
Where as i can get a stick of Value VX and just hope it OC's. For $115 for a gig i figure its a small cost above other value RAM and if it can OC....then it would be better.

I need 1Gig of RAM, and i was going to get some cheap value RAM but if i can run my RAM at 250 and my cpu at 200....and it will gain me some quickness i am all for trying it for $115.

Anandtech just did a review of <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392" target="_new">Value RAM</A> and they found that the OCZ Value VX ($115) has the potential to OC very well if given sufficient voltage...worth a read and consideration.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Yes, i am aware. Hence this question being posted within a day of that article.

I have two options....
1, Buy value RAM of some kind (2x512)
2, Buy OCZ value RAM and DDRBooster and OC my RAM.

I know that a 1:1 is good but my question is can i run my RAM at the higher ratio considering my 754 2800+ isn't going to OC that much. If i can run the RAM higher which i assume i can do.....will the DDRBooster in my 3rd slot act like a 3rd stick of RAM and make everything crap out on me? Should i get a 1gig stick and the DDRBooster if this is the way i go?

RichPLS

Champion
Chaintech VNF3-250 with Memory Booster Will o­nly fit o­ne memory module in conjunction with Booster and max voltage of 3.4volt

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that given your situation you would be better off getting the 2X512 value RAM.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I was thinking that was my best choice buti was just checking to make sure.

I figured for a couple bucks more i would take a chance on something. If it didn't work out i would still have the value RAM i wanted to begin with.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive gotten lucky in the past and purchased value RAM that would OC very good. Either way, if I were in your shoes I would go for value RAM.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

Hard to beat name brand 1GB for $85. :smile:

If my memory serves me correctly, you were the one who told me to get some generic crapper RAM :eek: to OC my 1500+...

You're absolutely right. The next step is a better PSU. 12V rail is getting thrashed right now...

When I bench the thing, the 12V will drop to 10.27 and spike to 14.46. :eek: It doesn't <i>stay</i> there continuously. If it did then I wouldn't run until I had a new PSU. My average is 12.3 and I'm sitting at 12.4 right now.

It's a 350W with a weak 12V rail. There's nothing quite like a free light show that let's you do an immediate upgrade! :evil: