New system issues

Sraigux

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Our family bought an xps9000 which arrived sometime early December. We bought it with 4gb of RAM, but when I go into system or control panel it only shows 1.99gb as usable memory. The motherboard has an extremely limited BIOS so I can only look at how much I have (the BIOS only sees 2gb). The rest is marked as hardware reserved.

Also, I get crazy input lag in a couple of games I have (Red Faction Guerrilla and Killing Floor). The menus have no lag, but when the game is not paused, the lag between the inputs and movement is enormous. I believe this may be because of the low amount of memory the system sees, but I am not sure.

Here's my specs

Core i7 920 processor
4gbs of memory
HD5770
windows 7

Sraigux

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

I have not got around to this yet. I'm just making sure it's not a software problem before I pull them out

I have already checked CPUZ, it says I have 4gb

Sraigux

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

No, I have 64bit, so my computer should be able to read it

And what do you mean by graphics memory?

Your graphics card has a certain amount of memory, such as 256MB, 512MB, 1GB...etc. However, it shouldn't matter since you have a 64bit system.

Open the task manager/performance tab. How much total physical memory does it show? You may want to keep an eye on this as you perform some tasks, to see if the RAM is being maxed out.

Sraigux

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
No, Im using home premium

2GB per harddrive (virtual memory is the one you configure under advanced sytem right?), for the virtual. And 4Gb of readyboost on my flashdrive