YiFai

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Hello,

I would just like to know if regular ram can be mixed with dual channel ram on the same motherboard.. right now i have a computer with 512 of dual channel ram (so 2x 256).. and would like to add more regular ones.. will that work??

Thanks,

YiFai

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Dual channel mode is NOT a function of the RAM, it is a function of the motherboard. It works by combining two 64bit memory modules into a 'virtual' 128bit module.

If you are using an intel or Athlon64 system then in order for dual channel mode you need to keep the size and composition of channels one and two the same. (channel 1 is made up of the 1st and 2nd RAM slot, Channel two is the 3rd and 4th).

If you want 1GB you need to add another 2x256MB in order to keep dual channel mode. If you add a single 512MB module it will still work but you will loose dual channel mode (and half your memory bandwidth).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
there is no "dual channel" RAM, there's only standard RAM in dual-channel mode. When you buy a matched pair of RAM, you're getting two standard modules that come from the same production run, that's all.

Most chipsets (all except the nForce2) require matched pairs to do dual-channel mode. Now, you can have two completely different matched pairs, say a pair of Crucial and a pair of Corsair modules, and they should work in Dual Channel mode so long as they're in the proper slots, normally slots 1 and 3 for the first pair, and 2 and 4 for the second.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

By dual channel are you referring to Double Data Rate (DDR)?

YiFai

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
no i'm referring to dual channel that works in pairs... ok so that means any mathcing pair can be used in dual channel mode?? and that means ppl are getting ripped off when they buy "dual channel 1 gb kingston" for almost double the price of 2x 512mb kingston??? wow... if so... good thing i asked here... cuz it's no problem buying another pair... if the dual channel mode can still be used..