XP Pro to XP Home

a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 9:57:14 AM

My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can he
use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking of
using my XP Home for the job.

More about : pro home

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 9:57:15 AM

there is no downgrade path from xp pro to home, he can use the serial from
the sticker but it have to be a pro disc plus it will likely be an oem serial
which will only work with the makers oem disc
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Bareill" wrote:

> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
> on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can he
> use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking of
> using my XP Home for the job.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 9:57:15 AM

Why go from Pro to Home?
Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but that
should not cause a need for a downgrade.

A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
from Windows XP Pro to Home.
The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.

He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.

Does this apply:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Bareill" <bareill@yahoo.yippee> wrote in message
> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
> on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can
> he use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking of
> using my XP Home for the job.
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 11:53:16 AM

Bareill wrote:
> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
> on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro.

No, he can't use that Product Key, as it will work only with the an OEM
version of WinXP Pro.

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

If you can get a generic OEM WinXP Pro CD, or a replacement CD from
the laptop's manufacturer, the existing Product Key should work.

> Failing that can he
> use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?

No. Not only WinXP Pro is not a qualifying product for an upgrade to
WinXP Home, but the transition from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is
considered a "downgrade." The only way to change from WinXP Pro to
WinXP Home is to format the drive and start over. There is no supported
downgrade path or technique.

Using a full version (either retail or OEM) of WinXP Home, simply
boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen.

Perhaps not, but the laptop's seller should also have included all of
the OEM software installation media along with the laptop, particularly
as none of that software can ever legitimately be reused on any other
computer. As it is, your friend didn't get his money's worth, unless he
knew up front that he would subsequently have to purchase the OS and
additional software.

> He just wants to
> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants.

Certainly a good idea. With second-hand computers, especially if
acquired from strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family
member, one's wisest course of action would probably be to format the
hard drives and start fresh. One wouldn't want to get in trouble
because the original owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie
porn, or have problems because the original owner downloaded/installed
viruses or other malware.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 12:34:05 PM

I checked the link you gave me and guess what, it's a pirate. So I'll get
him to buy the XP Home http://www.mplex.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi. Thank
you for the information

> Why go from Pro to Home?
> Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
> Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but
> that should not cause a need for a downgrade.
>
> A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
> from Windows XP Pro to Home.
> The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
> The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
> for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.
>
> He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.
>
> Does this apply:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Bareill" <bareill@yahoo.yippee> wrote in message
>> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
>> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product
>> key on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that
>> can he use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
>> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
>> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking
>> of using my XP Home for the job.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 12:34:45 PM

Thanks steve but it looks as if it's going on the back burner as he has a
pirate edition installed. This is what happens buying 2nd hand stuff.
"steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> there is no downgrade path from xp pro to home, he can use the serial from
> the sticker but it have to be a pro disc plus it will likely be an oem
> serial
> which will only work with the makers oem disc
> --
> there are no problems just challenges
>

> "Bareill" wrote:
>
>> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
>> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product
>> key
>> on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can
>> he
>> use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
>> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
>> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking
>> of
>> using my XP Home for the job.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 3:08:35 PM

Glad I was able to help.
To answer your other question, Service Packs are the only updates blocked
from pirate versions, and some pirate versions can get Service packs.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

>I checked the link you gave me and guess what, it's a pirate. So I'll get
>him to buy the XP Home http://www.mplex.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi. Thank
>you for the information
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Why go from Pro to Home?
>> Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
>> Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but
>> that should not cause a need for a downgrade.
>>
>> A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
>> from Windows XP Pro to Home.
>> The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
>> The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
>> for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.
>>
>> He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.
>>
>> Does this apply:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 9:44:22 PM

Wow, that was some reply. I honestly thank you for taking the time out to go
into detail. It looks as if he is snookered unless he can get the discs of
the guy he bought it from. Failing that I might try the laptop
manufacturer.Thank you one and all for the assistance.
> [...]
> OEM software installation media along with the laptop, particularly as
> none of that software can ever legitimately be reused on any other
> computer. As it is, your friend didn't get his money's worth, unless he
> knew up front that he would subsequently have to purchase the OS and
> additional software.
>

>> He just wants to wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants.
>

> Certainly a good idea. With second-hand computers, especially if acquired
> from strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, one's
> wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard drives and
> start fresh. One wouldn't want to get in trouble because the original
> owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems
> because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 9:44:23 PM

Bareill wrote:
> Wow, that was some reply. I honestly thank you for taking the time out to go
> into detail.

You're welcome.

> It looks as if he is snookered unless he can get the discs of
> the guy he bought it from.

Sadly true.

> Failing that I might try the laptop
> manufacturer.

It's certainly worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The
manufacturer will probably be willing to support only the original
purchaser of the laptop. However, there is a slim chance that they'd be
willing to sell your friend a replacement CD at a reduced price, in the
hopes of building good will and a future purchase.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm