XP Pro to XP Home

My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can he
use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking of
using my XP Home for the job.
8 answers Last reply
More about home

    there is no downgrade path from xp pro to home, he can use the serial from
    the sticker but it have to be a pro disc plus it will likely be an oem serial
    which will only work with the makers oem disc
    --
    there are no problems just challenges

    "Bareill" wrote:

    > My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
    > hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
    > on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can he
    > use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
    > In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
    > wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking of
    > using my XP Home for the job.

    Why go from Pro to Home?
    Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
    Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but that
    should not cause a need for a downgrade.

    A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
    from Windows XP Pro to Home.
    The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
    The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
    for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.

    He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.

    Does this apply:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Bareill wrote:
    > My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
    > hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product key
    > on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro.

    No, he can't use that Product Key, as it will work only with the an OEM
    version of WinXP Pro.

    Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
    (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
    For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
    version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice versa.
    An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version CD, and
    vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a retail
    product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English CD.
    Bottom line: Product Keys and CD types cannot be mixed & matched.

    If you can get a generic OEM WinXP Pro CD, or a replacement CD from
    the laptop's manufacturer, the existing Product Key should work.

    > Failing that can he
    > use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?

    No. Not only WinXP Pro is not a qualifying product for an upgrade to
    WinXP Home, but the transition from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is
    considered a "downgrade." The only way to change from WinXP Pro to
    WinXP Home is to format the drive and start over. There is no supported
    downgrade path or technique.

    Using a full version (either retail or OEM) of WinXP Home, simply
    boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    > In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen.

    Perhaps not, but the laptop's seller should also have included all of
    the OEM software installation media along with the laptop, particularly
    as none of that software can ever legitimately be reused on any other
    computer. As it is, your friend didn't get his money's worth, unless he
    knew up front that he would subsequently have to purchase the OS and
    additional software.

    > He just wants to
    > wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants.

    Certainly a good idea. With second-hand computers, especially if
    acquired from strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family
    member, one's wisest course of action would probably be to format the
    hard drives and start fresh. One wouldn't want to get in trouble
    because the original owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie
    porn, or have problems because the original owner downloaded/installed
    viruses or other malware.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I checked the link you gave me and guess what, it's a pirate. So I'll get
    him to buy the XP Home http://www.mplex.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi. Thank
    you for the information

    > Why go from Pro to Home?
    > Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
    > Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but
    > that should not cause a need for a downgrade.
    >
    > A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
    > from Windows XP Pro to Home.
    > The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
    > The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
    > for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.
    >
    > He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.
    >
    > Does this apply:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Bareill" <bareill@yahoo.yippee> wrote in message
    >> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
    >> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product
    >> key on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that
    >> can he use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
    >> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
    >> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking
    >> of using my XP Home for the job.

    Thanks steve but it looks as if it's going on the back burner as he has a
    pirate edition installed. This is what happens buying 2nd hand stuff.
    "steve.a" <stevea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > there is no downgrade path from xp pro to home, he can use the serial from
    > the sticker but it have to be a pro disc plus it will likely be an oem
    > serial
    > which will only work with the makers oem disc
    > --
    > there are no problems just challenges
    >

    > "Bareill" wrote:
    >
    >> My friend has a laptop with XP Professional installed. It was bought 2nd
    >> hand with no discs. Can he install XP Home Edition and use the Product
    >> key
    >> on the base of the laptop, or is this key only for Pro. Failing that can
    >> he
    >> use a new XP Home Upgrade to go over the top of the Pro Edition?
    >> In case anyone is thinking the obvious, it isn't stolen. He just wants to
    >> wipe everything out and put on the laptop what he wants. I was thinking
    >> of
    >> using my XP Home for the job.

    Glad I was able to help.
    To answer your other question, Service Packs are the only updates blocked
    from pirate versions, and some pirate versions can get Service packs.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    >I checked the link you gave me and guess what, it's a pirate. So I'll get
    >him to buy the XP Home http://www.mplex.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi. Thank
    >you for the information
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Why go from Pro to Home?
    >> Windows XP Home and Pro are identical in stability and performance.
    >> Windows XP Pro has more networking and security features than Home but
    >> that should not cause a need for a downgrade.
    >>
    >> A Clean Installation would be necessary since there is no downgrade path
    >> from Windows XP Pro to Home.
    >> The keys for Windows XP Home and Pro are not interchangeable.
    >> The computer is OEM so only an OEM Windows XP Pro CD (assuming the key is
    >> for Pro) will work with that Product on that computer.
    >>
    >> He may need to buy Windows XP in the version he wants.
    >>
    >> Does this apply:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org

    Wow, that was some reply. I honestly thank you for taking the time out to go
    into detail. It looks as if he is snookered unless he can get the discs of
    the guy he bought it from. Failing that I might try the laptop
    manufacturer.Thank you one and all for the assistance.

    Bareill wrote:
    > Wow, that was some reply. I honestly thank you for taking the time out to go
    > into detail.

    You're welcome.

    > It looks as if he is snookered unless he can get the discs of
    > the guy he bought it from.

    Sadly true.

    > Failing that I might try the laptop
    > manufacturer.

    It's certainly worth a try, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. The
    manufacturer will probably be willing to support only the original
    purchaser of the laptop. However, there is a slim chance that they'd be
    willing to sell your friend a replacement CD at a reduced price, in the
    hopes of building good will and a future purchase.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm