Disabling hibernation/standby

I'm trying to automatically disable hibernation and standby on a number of
Windows XP machines.
Ideally I would like to do this via Group Policy, but I haven't found any
group policy settings for this.
So I tried to build a small program using the power management API that can
be run from the logon script.
Seems however that users need administrative privileges to disable
hibernation and standby. Microsoft article KB307066 describes this, but
provides no real solution (users have individual settings for standby, so
changing them as an administrator does not help).

Anybody have any idea how this can be accomplished?

Stefan Cuypers

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: You are trying to
automatically disable hibernation and standby on a number of Windows XP
machines. You couldn't find any Group Policy, so you tried to build a
small program using the power management API that can be run from the logon
script. However users need administrative privileges to disable
hibernation and standby. If this is not correct, please feel free to let
me know.

Based on my experience, I have some suggestions as below:

1. As far as I know, indeed there is not any GPO related to Power Schemes.

2. You may set your program as a Startup Scripts which run without
Administrative privileges but with System permission. For more information
about Startup Script, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:

To assign computer startup scripts
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
-us/gptext_assigncomputerstartupscripts.mspx>

3. There is a small tool - POWERCFG may also help you to answer your needs.
The Powercfg.exe tool is included with the following operating systems:

- Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Note: The Powercfg.exe tool is not supported in Microsoft Windows 2000.

For more information about this command, please refer to the following
Microsoft Web site (Also applied with Windows XP SP2):

How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324347

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,