Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How I've installed Kodak DVC325 webcam on my XP Pro

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 5, 2008 5:19:42 PM

Installing an old kodak DVC325 on a recent PC (as of Sept 2008) with Windows XP Professional is not simple or even impossible, as I have noticed from the messages on many forums on the web, including Tom's HW. Furthermore Kodak doesn't longer provide support for this product so many people is pissed off with them.

Many many people complains that the camera is not recognized from XP's plug n'play system and when they try to install the drivers the system freeze and needs to be restarted. This was my case on a AMD Athlon X2 5600+ with AM2 socket/2 Gb RAM/Asrock Alive NF6G-GLAN motherboard and XP Professional.

I went through this issue following these steps that worked fine (for me at least).

FIRST: If you tried some attempts before make sure to uninstall old drivers and software related to DVC325. Then go ahead.

1) Unplug your camera from USB port

2) Download the installation package at
http://wwwit.kodak.com/global/it/service/downloads/dln_... , unpack it and run the install process.
Make sure it is listed in your control panel->add/remove programs list at the end of installation routine. Kodak says this will suffice to make the cam working, but it isn't correct as you may have experienced.

3) Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?72ohjewjgqq and download the zip package containing the drivers.
I've uploaded there the file I've found on Driverguide.com (but it's worthy to get an account) to be easier to find.

Uncompress it in a folder at your choice.

4) Execute Start->Run and type devmgmt.msc. Locate Kodak DVC325 on the Device Management panel, right-click on it and click on "update drivers". On the following panel click the choice at the bottom to install it manually and go ahead.

5) Click on "driver disk" button and then locate the "dvc325.inf" file you have uncompressed before. Click OK and then go ahead. When the "Windows Logo" warning message appears click on "continue".

6) Wait the installation finish and press "End" button at the end :-).

This hopefully will make your Kodak DVC325 camera working on your XP PC.
May 10, 2009 5:47:19 PM

my problem trying to get it to work on XP SP3 is that after I install the driver downloaded from the Kodak site it does not appear anywhere on my Device list, though it is shown on the add/remove programs list. So I cant update it. When I plug in the camera I get the USB Icon identifying it as an unknown device and that same designation on the Device Manager.

When I try to go to the NT driver from MediaFire I get the error that the file contains no information for the device.

Still screwed.
June 2, 2009 1:14:10 AM

dscot said:
my problem trying to get it to work on XP SP3 is that after I install the driver downloaded from the Kodak site it does not appear anywhere on my Device list, though it is shown on the add/remove programs list. So I cant update it. When I plug in the camera I get the USB Icon identifying it as an unknown device and that same designation on the Device Manager.

When I try to go to the NT driver from MediaFire I get the error that the file contains no information for the device.

Still screwed.

OK, try this. After you see that the Kodak software is installed and it appears in the Add/Remove Programs list, then plug in the DVC325 webcam. The Add New Hardware (or Install New Hardware) Wizard appears. It says it's an "Unknown USB Device" or similar. That's OK, keep going! Choose the manual install option (do NOT select the "Install new hardware automatically" option). On the next screen, select the bottom option "I will choose ....". On the next screen click on the "Have Disk" button. Now locate the folder you downloaded and unzipped called "dvc325wk" and open the folder. In the list of files click on "dvc325.inf" and click Open at bottom of selection box. Now you're back to the other screen and you click Next or OK to tell it to proceed and install that chosen driver. The usual warning message will appear to tell you the driver is not digitally signed, etc. Select "Continue anyway" option. The driver will be installed. Click OK or Finish.

Now, the webcam should work. I opened MSN Live Messenger and clicked on "Tools" at top of Messenger window and clicked on "Webcam settings" and up popped the viewing window and I could see myself OK. Then I closed the viewing window and clicked on "Tools" again, this time selecting "Audio and video setup". Step through the audio/video setup wizard. Talk into the microphone and get that working, and click Next. On the webcam screen click on the little drop-down menu thing and select Kodak DVC325. Click Next/OK/Finish (whichever) to finish the wizard. The DVC325 is now working fine.

I should mention that when I completed the Install/Add New Hardware Wizard then another Install/Add new Hardware Wizard box appeared. I think it's because there's more than one "part" of the webcam to install in order to get other features, maybe? Like, say, capturing still images by clicking on the button on top of the webcam or maybe to help the webcam work with the Presto software that comes with the DVC325. Who knows?

Anyway, the webcam should work now.
Related resources
November 18, 2009 6:52:29 AM

I had installed Creative Webcam Vista and camera then I also hooked up my old kodak DVC325 (plus software)both worked fine. I am now operating the kodek onley on creative vista webcam control. Don't ask how I did it It has been a while but still works. I am running XP pro s3

18-11-2009
Anonymous
December 15, 2009 12:23:36 PM

Is the installation package to be found elsewhere? The Kodak website now says Error: Can't find droplet named: /kodak/econtent/EK_XMLTransform at line: 19 instead of giving the download link
December 21, 2009 12:04:34 PM

----------------------UPDATE------------------
----------------------UPDATE------------------

As installation suite is no longer available on Kodak website you can solve this problem just doing this. It worked on the PC in the meantime I have updated to SP3:

1) Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?72ohjewjgqq and download the zip package containing the drivers.
Uncompress it in a folder at your choice.

2) Execute Start->Run and type devmgmt.msc. Locate Kodak DVC325 on the Device Management panel, right-click on it and click on "update drivers". On the following panel click the choice at the bottom to install it manually and go ahead.

3) Click on "driver disk" button and then locate the folder you have uncompressed before. Click OK and then go ahead. When the "Windows Logo" warning message appears click on "continue".

4) Wait the installation finish and press "End" button at the end :-).
January 3, 2010 12:54:15 AM

Worked like a charm! Thanks. I had been trying for hours until I found your post. Greatly appreciated!

February 1, 2010 7:31:08 PM

On my laptop (Gateway Solo 2150) I did a clean install of XP and used the CD that came with the cam. Got a message saying drivers were not verified, blah blah, installed anyway. Did not work, but went to hardware settings and reintalled driver from hard drive, the default, and now it works great.

Odd thing, my Dell desktop at work just dies when I try to install it, reboots and it kills the cd-rom and sound card every time. I hate that.
Guess I just got lucky with the laptop. The desktop was upgraded from Win2k Pro, don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Using XP Pro on both, Kodak CD is version 1.0, driver dated 4/2000.
Go figure.

I hope someone gets a new driver out soon, the one on Kodaks site does NOT work!
September 9, 2010 10:33:46 PM

Quote:
2) Download the installation package at
http://wwwit.kodak.com/global/it/s [...] =4490/5764 , unpack it and run the install process.
Make sure it is listed in your control panel->add/remove programs list at the end of installation routine. Kodak says this will suffice to make the cam working, but it isn't correct as you may have experienced.

Iam afraid the download is no longer available, can it be sourced from anywhere else or can someone upload pls?

mick
September 19, 2010 11:10:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!