dumb question

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I'm searching newegg for memory and there are different options for choosing the same capacity. Like there is 1GB and 1GB 2x 512. What is the difference? Is the 2x 512 basically two memory sticks? I don't understand

G

The 2 x 512mb is a dual channel kit of RAM for mobos that use dual channel. It is 2 sticks like you said, whereas 1gb is just one stick.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Ok, well the system I am building has a dual core mobo. So you you recommend a good memory brand? Also, is having ECC RAM important?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by amoretto on 04/14/05 09:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Depends on what your using the system for. Give us the specs of the system and what you intend to do with it.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I am trying to custom build one. So far I have added an ASES A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon 64 3800+, Lian Li PC 65 case, FSP Group (Fortron Source) Blue Storm 500W. I haven't configured anything else yet, and if you notice any flaws please let me know. Also, is the fastest RAM that the mobo will support DDR400 at 200mhz? There are other options at newegg for DDR500, 600 but I assume they're only for Intel right?

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Eventually I might overclock, but I don't know anything about it. But lets say yes, because I might consider it. But is the fastest RAM DDR400 at 200mhz that the mobo will support?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by amoretto on 04/15/05 01:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DDR500 IS DDR400. DDR400 is a JEDEC specified RAM, DDR500 is memory that exceeds DDR400 specification in that it can handle overclocking the memory bus to 250MHz xDDR (DDR500).

So DDR500 works fine in a DDR400 board. Just stay away from DDR2, as it uses a different slot type.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Well the mobo I am mostly likely going to get is an ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe. It supports DDR 333/400 so should i just stick with DDR400? I assume that's the fastest I will get right, and I can't get any faster with any other AMD motherboard.

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
Ok, thanks. But the fastest ram any amd mobo will support is DDR400 right? Sorry I don't know this, I'm just illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

G

Nope you can get faster ram than DDR400 and your mobo will support it.
It goes like this, if you get lets say DDR-500 but you dont do any overclock andhyou leave everything to default in your bios, it will run at exactly DDR400. Its rated at DDR-500 simply because it has been tested work perfeclty stable at those speed. If you re-read Crashman's post you should understand what I mean.

Now if your absolutly sure you wont be overclocking, dont bother with anything higher than DDR400 just get good branded sticks with low timmings(the number you usually see 2-2-2-5 being the fastest).

But you said you might consider overclocking so you should consider higher rated memory. I suggest you follow other poster's advices.
Here's some stuff you can read to understand better and make a better decision. Anandtech got some really good mem. articles.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2390" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2390</A>
and
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2392</A>
or any other memory related articles on anandtech!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

G

If you want to OC, then go for the ddr500. It's usually not much more expensive, and it won't hurt to have it. OCZ has good RAM, PDP systems with t heir patriot line, and Crucial's Ballistix are some top manufacturers

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

amoretto

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
ok, i guess i'll go with OCZ then. The only reason I was gonna get Corsair is because i has over 100 good reviews. The OCZ only has 1, but is that because it's not that popular?

G

You see, that OCZ VX RAM runs better with more voltage, and the DFI Lanparty board he is talking about (which I have) has a jumper setting that allows you to increase the DRAM voltage above what a normal mobo will allow. Excellent for OC, but not a necessity at all. If you plan on getting the DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D or SLI-DR (for SLI capability) then that OCZ RAM is a good idea. If you're gonna get a different board then it may be wiser to save some cash and get a different brand of RAM, like perhaps some good Patriot by PDP systems.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Old Hand </b>!! </font color=green>

G

I thought their X-BLK stuff was good?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Old Hand </b>!! </font color=green>