restoring tcp/ip

Joe

If you restore TCP/IP by means of reinstalling the protocol, not by the netsh
command but by actually reinstalling. Would it be necessary to check the
TCP/IP settings to see if it is correct if you are using a regular cable
internet connection the via internet, no router configuration attached.

Thanks for your time guys.

Hi Joe,

If you were previously using defaults, then probably not, but it only takes
a moment to check them. Why?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you restore TCP/IP by means of reinstalling the protocol, not by the
> netsh
> command but by actually reinstalling. Would it be necessary to check the
> TCP/IP settings to see if it is correct if you are using a regular cable
> internet connection the via internet, no router configuration attached.
>
> Thanks for your time guys.

This really depends if your cable internet service was:

1) Using DHCP: Cable service is assigning IP settings whenever the cable
modem is powered on.

2) Using PPPo?? (A or E): A specially process where you have a user name
and password, which you use to "sign-on" to the cable service.

3) Using an assigned IP: IP address, and other settings, were given to you
so that you enter them into the Windows XP TCP/IP properties. This means
that you Internet connect in 95% guarantied to have the same IP address, and
IP settings, each of every time you restart the cable modem. (Note: Cable
service may still change your IP setting WITHOUT you knowledge. This is
reason why I stated 95% guarantied same settings.)