Suggest me a new LCD

Nytmare

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Hello all :)

So I am finishing a fairly high end build. :pt1cable:

I hear my 22" Samsung LCD will not let me take full advantage of the new build.

I hear I should look in the 25"+ club to take advantage of the build.

The build briefly...

9550 Quad Core
4870x2 GPU
4 Gig Corsair DDR2 800 memory
1000w Corsair PSU

-any suggestion on a large >25'' monitor that:
1. can handle higher resolutions
2. has low ms response time

Price, flexible....would like to keep it 1500 or less ballpark.

THX

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Just keep in mind that in all situations a higher resolution is going to produce a lower framerate. Although from your specs you're going to have a very good system, you also need to think to the future. When a new game comes out say 1 year from now that is much more intensive than anything thats out now, you're going to be forced to play at the native resolution of the monitor, unless you want it to look like dogsh*t. That means that your now 1 or 2yr old system is going to be trying to play a newly released game at 1920x1200 resolution, etc, which is only going to amplify the problem of low framerates.

The advantage of a 22" monitor is they are generally 1650x1080, which is a much more reasonable res for gaming.

So, personally i would go for a 22" and call it a day, but if you're going to get a monitor with 1900x resolution, i'd go for a 26/27" or even a 30" depending on how far away from the monitor you can sit.

I know i'm commiting blashemer here, but anandtech.com seems to keep up on monitor reviews a lot better than tomshardware does. I'd take a look at their 24" LCD roundup.