Transfering Windows to another HD

Hi,

I am upgrading my hard drive and would like to transfer the OS and all
thefiles on my existing drive, I have searched the help files for:

transfer OS
transfer windows
Move windows
copy wind
etc

But I can't find how to do it, what should I be looking for.

Microsoft tells us that it's simple to do this, I am sure it is but they
don't make it easy to find.

Thanks
David
--
Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading my hard drive and would like to transfer the OS and all
> thefiles on my existing drive, I have searched the help files for:
>
> transfer OS
> transfer windows
> Move windows
> copy wind
> etc
>
> But I can't find how to do it, what should I be looking for.
>
> Microsoft tells us that it's simple to do this, I am sure it is but they
> don't make it easy to find.
>
> Thanks
> David
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Most new HDD's come with software that will do what you want to do...

Bobby

Hi,

Microsoft's way is to export the system using the File and Settings Transfer
Wizard, then do a clean install on the new drive and import the data.

As mentioned by another, most drive makers provide for a utility that will
do this. It's either in the box or downloadable for free from the drive
maker's web site. This is usually the way to go.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading my hard drive and would like to transfer the OS and all
> thefiles on my existing drive, I have searched the help files for:
>
> transfer OS
> transfer windows
> Move windows
> copy wind
> etc
>
> But I can't find how to do it, what should I be looking for.
>
> Microsoft tells us that it's simple to do this, I am sure it is but they
> don't make it easy to find.
>
> Thanks
> David
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Gordon

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am upgrading my hard drive and would like to transfer the OS and all
> thefiles on my existing drive, I have searched the help files for:
>
> transfer OS
> transfer windows
> Move windows
> copy wind
> etc
>
> But I can't find how to do it, what should I be looking for.
>
> Microsoft tells us that it's simple to do this, I am sure it is but they
> don't make it easy to find.
>
> Thanks
> David

The only way you can "transfer" Windows is if you use an imaging program
like Norton Ghost. Otherwise you have to un-install from the old HDD and
re-install on the new.