Question regarding Epson printers...

G

I just bought an Epson printer (Stylus C88). After researching on the internet more, I found out that Epson is highly disfavored because of it's irratic behavior and supposedly "mandatory" cleaning, thus making you pay more eventually later. For all you Epson owners, how is this so? I've already found out that there are such programs to counter (or reset) like a "clock" or timer so it somehow overrides the printer system.... but anyways, is Epson all that crappy? Have I made a bad choice? I just purchased the Epson for college because it was cheaper than most, and I only need it to print papers and stuff.

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do not be too hard on yourself. Epson's are not that bad but it looks like you bought a low end printer where the manufacturer figures to make money off the ink.----typical of low end printers in all manufacturer's lines.

Since, in my opinion, the best printers for refilling or non-oem cartridges come from either Canon or Epson, you need to look at those options for printing economy. You may well regain bragging rights among your friends for economy and quality if you do your homework. But a danger with Canon's and Epsons is that long periods of inactivity may damage the printheads. I trust your kindly instructor's will make sure to keep your printer humming as they load on the homework.

I did not see cartridges for the c88 yet at bulkinkjetcarts.com at a casual perusal but rest assured they will become widely available at a wide variety of places for about one quarter of OEM costs.

But the Epsons and now the newer Canon's may require a chip resetter and a learning curve to acheive that economy.

But try also steves digicams and nifty stuff forums for good information on refilling and excellent quality non-oem cartridges.

You may be pleasantly surprised that your printer choice was not that bad.

But you may have had a better starting point with the Canon ip3000 or 4000.--and for little or no extra bucks.