when I use the run... box it disappears straight away

Hi there,
I was trying to my ip address and some other instructions using the run...
box from the start menu in windows xp. However as soon as I type "ipconfig"
and press enter the black coloured window appears for a fraction of a second
and then quickly disappears. I would appreaciate it if someone can tell me
how to make it work again.
Thank you
Im running xp sp1 after I uninstalled sp2

ammar Wakil
3 answers Last reply
More about when disappears straight away

    This is the "run"'s normal behaviour! The "run" window is set to close
    automatically after the DOS command completes. In order for you to get the
    info to be display longer do:

    1) Run: CMD <enter key>

    2) At "C:\......." enter: IPCONFIG

    This will bring up a DOS windows and will display the info you want until
    you enter "EXIT" or click on the X on the top right hand corner

    "Ammar" <Ammar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    > I was trying to my ip address and some other instructions using the run...
    > box from the start menu in windows xp. However as soon as I type
    > "ipconfig"
    > and press enter the black coloured window appears for a fraction of a
    > second
    > and then quickly disappears. I would appreaciate it if someone can tell me
    > how to make it work again.
    > Thank you
    > Im running xp sp1 after I uninstalled sp2
    >
    > ammar Wakil

    What do you mean again? Type it in a command prompt. The program exits so it has no need for a window.

    "Ammar" <Ammar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74F5CD08-E2AD-4E9C-9958-D09A09B359BF@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there,
    > I was trying to my ip address and some other instructions using the run...
    > box from the start menu in windows xp. However as soon as I type "ipconfig"
    > and press enter the black coloured window appears for a fraction of a second
    > and then quickly disappears. I would appreaciate it if someone can tell me
    > how to make it work again.
    > Thank you
    > Im running xp sp1 after I uninstalled sp2
    >
    > ammar Wakil

    thank you,
    I was not using the command prompt properly. My apology ..
    Ammar

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > What do you mean again? Type it in a command prompt. The program exits so it has no need for a window.

    > "Ammar" <Ammar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74F5CD08-E2AD-4E9C-9958-D09A09B359BF@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi there,
    > > I was trying to my ip address and some other instructions using the run...
    > > box from the start menu in windows xp. However as soon as I type "ipconfig"
    > > and press enter the black coloured window appears for a fraction of a second
    > > and then quickly disappears. I would appreaciate it if someone can tell me
    > > how to make it work again.
    > > Thank you
    > > Im running xp sp1 after I uninstalled sp2
    > >
    > > ammar Wakil

Windows XP