Sudden shutdown of my Lenovo Y410 laptop

shocker74

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hi,

I've a Lenovo Y410 laptop with Windows Vista running. It's been quite a while now that my laptop fully shuts down while I'm doing something which seems nothing special like normal web browsing or while working on a word doc or watching something online. This doesn't happen often but random. I did a full clean re-install of Vista but the problem still happens. I'm worried more about the reason than the interruption. Sometimes when I restart right after it shuts down, it shuts down again after booting to Vista. Is it Vista issue or my Lenovo system issue? I search on the Lenovo site and some forums but didn't find any answers and I would appreciate someone's help.

Please ignore the Dell sub-category where I wanted to put none or Lenovo but I couldn't wonder why Tomshardware made it that way!

Thanks,
Ehdie

shocker74

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Yes it does happen in both cases and like you said I installed Speedfan which shows for my core2duo that 1core is 55C and other one 56C but Realtemp showing 72 and 73. I tried with CUPID's PC WIZARD 2010 which shows thermal zone as 67C and cores as 71C and hard disk is 44C. Are these numbers very high; I suspect they are and if so what can I do to minimize or eliminate this problem.

I've another laptop Toshiba Satellite which has just mobile pentium and it's cpu temp as 63C and hard disk as 42C which originally had xp pro but now has both xp pro and 7 but never had sudden shutdowns.

Thanks a lot for the help, really appreciated.

Ehdie