Printer taskbar icons gone ?

July 22, 2005 4:23:02 PM

Hi all

all our users running XP SP2 and networked printers (from a 2k server) have
noticed that when they print the taskbar icon no longer appears. Is there
some way of re-enabling this ? Is this a server or XP problem ? Most
machines were recently upgraded to SP2 so there may be a connection ?

thanks for any help you can provide
gerryR

More about : printer taskbar icons

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:23:03 PM

Hi,

the printer icon appears in the system tray as long as the job is in the
print queue. if the job is completed before it is spooled then it doesnt
appear in the system tray.

--
Regards
M. Rajesh

"gerryR" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> all our users running XP SP2 and networked printers (from a 2k server) have
> noticed that when they print the taskbar icon no longer appears. Is there
> some way of re-enabling this ? Is this a server or XP problem ? Most
> machines were recently upgraded to SP2 so there may be a connection ?
>
> thanks for any help you can provide
> gerryR

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:00:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean but this is not the case
here, most of our users print large files (A0 drawings etc) and our printers
usually have plenty in the queue ahead.

any more help greatly appreciated
gerryR

"M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> the printer icon appears in the system tray as long as the job is in the
> print queue. if the job is completed before it is spooled then it doesnt
> appear in the system tray.
>
> --
> Regards
> M. Rajesh
> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> www.winxpsolution.com.
> Windows MarketPlace Moderator
>

> "gerryR" wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> all our users running XP SP2 and networked printers (from a 2k server)
>> have
>> noticed that when they print the taskbar icon no longer appears. Is
>> there
>> some way of re-enabling this ? Is this a server or XP problem ? Most
>> machines were recently upgraded to SP2 so there may be a connection ?
>>
>> thanks for any help you can provide
>> gerryR

July 22, 2005 7:48:10 PM

However, it could still be possible that the printer queue is "very fast"
and no one is noticing the system try icon passing by. To test, "pause" the
printer and try sending a proint job request. You may see the icon show up.

"gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean but this is not the case
> here, most of our users print large files (A0 drawings etc) and our
> printers usually have plenty in the queue ahead.
>
> any more help greatly appreciated
> gerryR
>

> "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> the printer icon appears in the system tray as long as the job is in the
>> print queue. if the job is completed before it is spooled then it doesnt
>> appear in the system tray.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> M. Rajesh
>> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
>> www.winxpsolution.com.
>> Windows MarketPlace Moderator
>>

>> "gerryR" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> all our users running XP SP2 and networked printers (from a 2k server)
>>> have
>>> noticed that when they print the taskbar icon no longer appears. Is
>>> there
>>> some way of re-enabling this ? Is this a server or XP problem ? Most
>>> machines were recently upgraded to SP2 so there may be a connection ?
>>>
>>> thanks for any help you can provide
>>> gerryR

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:46:05 AM

hi all ,

yes i too got the same problem, i have het n/w with win2k3 n win2k print
servers and clients are win xp,2000 n NT.
it seems latest MS updates massed up this usefull option.
--
faro_sam

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> However, it could still be possible that the printer queue is "very fast"
> and no one is noticing the system try icon passing by. To test, "pause" the
> printer and try sending a proint job request. You may see the icon show up.
>

> "gerryR" <gerrynonospam@nonospam.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean but this is not the case
> > here, most of our users print large files (A0 drawings etc) and our
> > printers usually have plenty in the queue ahead.
> >
> > any more help greatly appreciated
> > gerryR
> >

> > "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> the printer icon appears in the system tray as long as the job is in the
> >> print queue. if the job is completed before it is spooled then it doesnt
> >> appear in the system tray.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> M. Rajesh
> >> .Net and Windows Shell MVP
> >> www.winxpsolution.com.
> >> Windows MarketPlace Moderator

November 8, 2009 5:56:49 AM

Anyways, you can still see the window if you go to "Printers and Faxes" and double click on the relevant printer icon.

You can try .. Right click on the Taskbar; select Properties >> Customize >> [select your icon] Always Show >> Ok >> Ok.

If it does not work then restart your pc.
!