It is safe to remove your hard drive

G

Ok, WTF? I keep getting this system try message that it's ok to remove my sata hdd. The Raptor (74gb) is the boot drive, and the a160 caviar is for storage. I've got a DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-d mobo, winchester 3200, currently 512mb of a 1gb ocz ddr500 gold vx dual channel kit and an x800xl gpu. PSU is FSP Blue Storm 500w. Any ideas why windows is asking me to remove my hdd?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

G

well I have been, but any ideas how to get rid of that @#$%^& annoying icon?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

pat

Expert
SATA is, by definition, hot swappable.. so, this is a removable storage. You could, even if I have not tried it, supposely being to remove your HDD without shutting down the computer.

But, if you do nothing, and windows ask you to remove this HDD, then there is a problems. Windows never ask me by itself to remove my drive. I decide if I want to. I have 4 SATA HDD on my system that shows as removable media, as well as 1 multimedia card reader and one USB HDD.

The only one I remove is the USB drive ... I leave the other running. I'm too scared to try to remove one SATA while my computer is running...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Congratulations! You have both the newer style controller AND the newer style drive which BOTH support SATA hot swapping. What were the odds of anyone having both in the same system?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Well @#$%!! Apparently to remove the $%^&@ icon from the system tray I have to DISable write cacheing to optimize for removal. All I want to do is @#$!%^ get rid of the *()%$# icon in the $%^#@ system tray!!! :mad:

G

Yes, you are correct, I just #$%^& hate having non essential icons in the (*^%$#@ system tray. Anyone know if there is any way to turn off that notification?

G

God, THANK YOU! Much better now :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Old Hand </b>!! </font color=green>

G

Yeah Yeah, I sucked it up and set back on. Just irritating is all. Why the hell anyone would want to pull a friggin Raptor out of their box while it's running is beyond me. I'm sure somebody somewhere can make good use of it.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Old Hand </b>!! </font color=green>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Its got to be a setting in BIOS. It thinks that your HD is a removable one like a USB.

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>Benchmarked 5Ghz</font color=red>
X800XL 474/609 <font color=red>#5 in 3DMark05 #3 in PCMark04
3DMark05-<font color=red>5965</font color=red>
3DMark03-<font color=red>13496</font color=red>
PCMark04-<font color=red>6170</font color=red>