Setting up an FTP Server behind a MN-700

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I have an MN-700 acting as a router using PPPOE to connect
to the internet I have 4 PC's connected to the MN-700 3
using MN-710 and 1 via RJ45 direct. I would like to have 1
of the pc lets say 192.168.2.60 to be able to host and ftp
server and host a web server. please inform me if this is
possible and how I have to go about doing this. Step by
step would help a fair bit. If it's not possible I'll
just turn the MN-700 to an Access Point and let the PC use
there PPPOE dialers to connect.. Is it possible for the MN-
700 mode using PPPOE to connect have 1 of the PC using MN-
710 to connect using it's own independent PPPOE dial up ?

joker

When the MN-700 is in router mode which is what it is when it is doing a
PPPoE connection any PPPoE connection that tries to make it through the
MN-700 will be killed.

To configure the MN-700 to have a FTP server behind it requires
persistent port forwarding. The specific ports needed depend on what
mode your FTP server is running in.

Jason wrote:

> I have an MN-700 acting as a router using PPPOE to connect
> to the internet I have 4 PC's connected to the MN-700 3
> using MN-710 and 1 via RJ45 direct. I would like to have 1
> of the pc lets say 192.168.2.60 to be able to host and ftp
> server and host a web server. please inform me if this is
> possible and how I have to go about doing this. Step by
> step would help a fair bit. If it's not possible I'll
> just turn the MN-700 to an Access Point and let the PC use
> there PPPOE dialers to connect.. Is it possible for the MN-
> 700 mode using PPPOE to connect have 1 of the PC using MN-
> 710 to connect using it's own independent PPPOE dial up ?

Go to the Security/Port Forwarding/Persistent and forward
TCP port 80 for the web server IP address (192.168.2.60) --
use the same port number on the boxes for port ranges. Do
the same for the FTP server using the FTP port number --
there are some issues with some FTP servers (passive vs.
active mode) but I'm not very familiar with it (I have not
a FTP server behind the MS router), and you can check them
later.

Install the web and FTP servers, configure and you are
done. ^.^ Remember that the original firmware on the router
does not support loopback, so you cannot use the WAN IP to
test your server from within the LAN unless you upgrade to
the new firmware (official release is expected in near future).

joker

I guess you didn't see the post by "Neel Malik [MSFT]" they have
released a new firmware for the MN-700 that supports loopback & fixes
several other issues with the MN-700.