DSL Modem

Gerg

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
At the moment I'm using dial-up and I'm thinking of switching to DSL soon, mainly to play online games. I would like to know what modem specifications I should watch out for and if anyone could recommend me a few good gaming modems.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Some ISP's are pretty particular about what goes on their network. Check with your ISP and see if they provide one. In my area, my ISP only uses SpeedTouch DSL modems. Even with MAC cloning, they have other software that blocks non-standard equipment.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

Gerg

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
Should the modem be USB or PCI and should it be one with Ethernet? I read somewhere that PCI modems have faster response times and are therefore better for gaming.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Use a PCI ethernet card in your computer. Avoid using USB. Wireless isn't a bad idea either, but you are better off using a full duplex 1G ethernet card. Run a CAT5/6 patch cable from your ethernet card to DSL modem unless you are using other switches/hubs/routers/hardbox firewalls in between.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

TRENDING THREADS