Problem with Mapped Drives

I have a Win2000 network and now have around 20 new XP Pro machines on it.
Every user has at least one drive mapped to one of our servers to store
files. Every so often, for no reason that I have figured out, when trying to
access a mapped drive it hangs up and you are asked for a username and
password. This happens to me with my perminatly mapped drives and new ones I
make on the fly. No username or password seems to work, and the easiest way
to get it to work correctly is to reboot. This only happens with the XP
machines.
Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion as to why or what I need to
change?
6 answers Last reply
More about problem mapped drives

    I've not seen this problem, perhaps the server is restricted to the number of
    open share sessions? Just a guess?

    Also, I'm assuming you are using the explorer>tools>map network drive...you
    may try this from the command line:

    "bvanderpool" wrote:

    > I have a Win2000 network and now have around 20 new XP Pro machines on it.
    > Every user has at least one drive mapped to one of our servers to store
    > files. Every so often, for no reason that I have figured out, when trying to
    > access a mapped drive it hangs up and you are asked for a username and
    > password. This happens to me with my perminatly mapped drives and new ones I
    > make on the fly. No username or password seems to work, and the easiest way
    > to get it to work correctly is to reboot. This only happens with the XP
    > machines.
    > Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion as to why or what I need to
    > change?

    I don't have an answer, but I have seen this happen when our customers
    upgraded their workstations to WinXP from Win2K Professional and Win98.
    Nothing was changed on the server, but the persistently mapped drives became
    less reliable, prompting for user name and password. Sometimes you can logon,
    sometimes you can't.

    It's even worse in a peer-to-peer environment - timeouts when browsing
    shared folders, sometimes working, sometimes not. These we fix by adding
    netbeui to the lan adapter and no more problem. Not sure you can/want to do
    that in a client-server environment, especially if you are tied to other
    geographic locations.

    "bvanderpool" wrote:

    > I have a Win2000 network and now have around 20 new XP Pro machines on it.
    > Every user has at least one drive mapped to one of our servers to store
    > files. Every so often, for no reason that I have figured out, when trying to
    > access a mapped drive it hangs up and you are asked for a username and
    > password. This happens to me with my perminatly mapped drives and new ones I
    > make on the fly. No username or password seems to work, and the easiest way
    > to get it to work correctly is to reboot. This only happens with the XP
    > machines.
    > Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion as to why or what I need to
    > change?

    These are all new workstations, I didn't upgrade them, but I will try that
    and see if it works for me too.

    "wyocowboy" <wyocowboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't have an answer, but I have seen this happen when our customers
    > upgraded their workstations to WinXP from Win2K Professional and Win98.
    > Nothing was changed on the server, but the persistently mapped drives
    > became
    > less reliable, prompting for user name and password. Sometimes you can
    > logon,
    > sometimes you can't.
    >
    > It's even worse in a peer-to-peer environment - timeouts when browsing
    > shared folders, sometimes working, sometimes not. These we fix by adding
    > netbeui to the lan adapter and no more problem. Not sure you can/want to
    > do
    > that in a client-server environment, especially if you are tied to other
    > geographic locations.

    If NETBEUI fixed the problem then the problem was probably DNS or NETBIOS
    related. Installing NETBEUI will sometimes help if DNS is mixed up or
    NETBIOS is not working right. If the workstations are in a domain then I'd
    suspect DNS. If peer to peer or workgroup then NETBIOS. Installing NETBEUI
    is a bandaid for a symptom, not a fix for a problem.

    Kerry

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > If NETBEUI fixed the problem then the problem was probably DNS or NETBIOS
    > related.
    > Installing NETBEUI will sometimes help if DNS is mixed up or
    > NETBIOS is not working right. If the workstations are in a domain then I'd
    > suspect DNS. If peer to peer or workgroup then NETBIOS. Installing NETBEUI
    > is a bandaid for a symptom, not a fix for a problem.

    Well, let's take a little closer look at this...

    I have seen several situations where win98 machines worked reliably in
    peer2peer for years, and then XP machines were either added, or some of the
    98 machines were upgraded to xp. After this happened, the 98 machines
    continued to work, but the xp did not work reliably (sometimes works,
    sometimes doesn't) when browsing shares, or trying to access persistently
    mapped drives. Didn't seem to matter whether the share was on an XP or a 98
    machine - xp had problems accessing them and 98 did not. Nothing changed with
    respect to DNS settings (the only DNS server involved was that of the ISP,
    which certainly didn't have their workstations in its database).

    Since there is only one configurable item in XP's Client for Microsoft
    Networking, this problem is occurring on a lower level that is not accessible
    to the user. Either Win98 was doing it wrong (but it worked) or XP is doing
    it wrong when running netbios over tcp/ip. Win2k Prof does not have this
    problem. Both Win2k and XP use the same BSD ip stack, but for some reason, MS
    removed Netbeui as a default choice in xp.

    In the domain scenario, the DC is handling DNS. Again, we have seen win98
    work without these issues and XP does not work reliably with persistently
    mapped drives. It should be noted that not all sites exhibit this problem. We
    have one site that is running SBS2000 and all XP workstations, using just
    netbios over tcp/ip, and they have never had this issue. The other customer
    has SBS 2003. Both of these are running ISA server which means they were
    going through the server to get to the internet.

    No problems are seen at either site accessing the internet (other than
    occasional DSL outages), so I would have to wonder why it would have a
    problem on just the local/client net. That leaves netbios...

    While it may seem to be a band-aid, getting the customer going is our main
    priority, and theirs. So far, Microsoft has not given me any medals or other
    compensation for the bugs I've found while doing field QA on their products,
    so there is no incentive for me to fire up the debugger and find out what is
    really going on when I have a fix in my back pocket. We deal with mostly
    small businesses - if I was MIS overseeing a significant number of
    workstations, I would feel differently.

> [...]
    > has SBS 2003. Both of these are running ISA server which means they were
    > going through the server to get to the internet.
    >
    > No problems are seen at either site accessing the internet (other than
    > occasional DSL outages), so I would have to wonder why it would have a
    > problem on just the local/client net. That leaves netbios...
    >
    > While it may seem to be a band-aid, getting the customer going is our main
    > priority, and theirs. So far, Microsoft has not given me any medals or
    > other
    > compensation for the bugs I've found while doing field QA on their
    > products,
    > so there is no incentive for me to fire up the debugger and find out what
    > is
    > really going on when I have a fix in my back pocket. We deal with mostly
    > small businesses - if I was MIS overseeing a significant number of

    I'm in the same situation, mostly small business clients who want it working
    right now. I have also used NETBEUI (although I prefer IPX/SPX) as a quick
    way to get things working. I let the client know what I am doing and why. In
    most cases they say get it working now. In the cases where they want it
    fixed properly it can take many hours of troubleshooting with browstat,
    ipconcifg, and nbtstat to figure it out. It is usually a combination of many
    things. Deleting all protocols on win9x machines and then reinstalling
    TCP/IP and making sure only one browser master is active sometimes fixes the
    problem. If it doesn't it can take a long time to troubleshoot. Also using
    UNC names rather than mapped drives usually fixes the problem although some
    older apps won't work this way. There definitely seems to be a difference in
    the way NETBIOS over TCP/IP works with XP.

    Kerry

Windows XP