Hi

I am having a file time stamp problem. I copy a files from my hard drive to
a Maxtor 3100 external drive using Windows Explorer Edit | Copy to Folder.

If I then compare the Date Modified for a large series of file, while most
have the same date on both machines, a very small number have a different
date - usually out by only a couple of seconds or less.

Even if I repeat the copy, the error persists.

I really would like the dates to be exactly the same.

Any ideas?

Brent
--
Brent Beach
Victoria, B.C.

brent underscore beach@telus dot net

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Brent Beach" <check-the-sig@spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am having a file time stamp problem. I copy a files from my hard
> drive to a Maxtor 3100 external drive using Windows Explorer Edit |
> Copy to Folder.
>
> If I then compare the Date Modified for a large series of file, while
> most have the same date on both machines, a very small number have a
> different date - usually out by only a couple of seconds or less.
>
> Even if I repeat the copy, the error persists.
>
> I really would like the dates to be exactly the same.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Brent
> --
> Brent Beach
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada
>
> brent underscore beach@telus dot net

Nothing in a computer is instantaneous. Every file read and write will
take time.

After you have copied the files to the new place, update the timestamp with
the unix command line "touch" from the command prompt like this:
>touch.exe file1.ext file2.ext
Depeding on how many files you have, this may be able to get them all 'at
the same time'

Unix command line Utilities for windows can be found
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

"Brent Beach" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having a file time stamp problem. I copy a files from my hard drive to
> a Maxtor 3100 external drive using Windows Explorer Edit | Copy to Folder.
>
> If I then compare the Date Modified for a large series of file, while most
> have the same date on both machines, a very small number have a different
> date - usually out by only a couple of seconds or less.
>
> Even if I repeat the copy, the error persists.
>
> I really would like the dates to be exactly the same.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Brent
> --
> Brent Beach
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada
>
> brent underscore beach@telus dot net

Hi

Copyfile usually copies the Date Modified from the source file to the
destination file - it is not the time of the copy but of the original file
creation.

For 95% of the files it does this just fine - the dates are exactly the same.

For some files, even if I copy repeatedly, it continues to write a slightly
different original Date modified.

Why can it not write the Date modified exactly?

Brent

--

> Hi
>
> Copyfile usually copies the Date Modified from the source file to the
> destination file - it is not the time of the copy but of the original
> file creation.
>
> For 95% of the files it does this just fine - the dates are exactly
> the same.
>
> For some files, even if I copy repeatedly, it continues to write a
> slightly different original Date modified.
>
> Why can it not write the Date modified exactly?

Are you using EFS (encrypting file system)? I hear that decryption will
change the Modified value. Otherwise, have you tried the same operation
by rebooting into Safe Mode? I haven't experienced what you describe so
maybe something that is filtering your file operations is causing the
change.