Toni

I want to transfer programs to my new laptop and then erase the hardrive on
the old one. I don't want to have to reinstall the software on the new one (I
don't have all the original disks). I there any softeware that will allow me
to do it without messing up the Windows XP Professional software that has
pre-loaded on my new laptop. Will PC Reloader do it?

In news:BAE93301-7CD1-44C3-8140-7F8B8BDE34B8@microsoft.com,
Toni <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I want to transfer programs to my new laptop and then erase the
> hardrive on the old one. I don't want to have to reinstall the
> software on the new one (I don't have all the original disks).
> there any softeware that will allow me to do it without messing
> up
> the Windows XP Professional software that has pre-loaded on my
> new
> laptop.

Sorry, you're out of luck, and can't do this. With the exception
of an occasional tiny program all programs have many references
in the registry and other references and supporting files
elsewhere. There's no practical way to do what you want.

You can transfer data from one computer to another, but not
programs. Programs have to be reinstalled.

> Will PC Reloader do it?

I've never heard of "PC Reloader," but I doubt it very much.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Toni" <Toni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to transfer programs to my new laptop and then erase the hardrive
> on
> the old one. I don't want to have to reinstall the software on the new one
> (I
> don't have all the original disks). I there any softeware that will allow
> me
> to do it without messing up the Windows XP Professional software that has
> pre-loaded on my new laptop. Will PC Reloader do it?

You're asking for trouble. When you install software on a Windows machine,
the process places files in a myriad of different folders, and makes
modifications to the Windows registry, which is essentially the most
complicated guest book in the known universe.

Borrow the original disks from whoever you got them from before, or cough up
the $$. The latter option will make you much happier in the end. As far as
PC Reloader, I cannot find information about it, so I can't answer your
question.