Find Motherboard type?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer) and
from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is? If
it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something that
I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
moment. Thanks

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Oh I found the manual, and it is:

AK31
Socket A
AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
Based DDR MAIN BOARD

If this helps at all?

Try running wmic:

Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
At the prompt type: "wmic"
at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number

Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
bios version, although each bios is different.

"Chris" wrote:

> I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
> motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer) and
> from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is? If
> it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something that
> I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
> moment. Thanks

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

it says "wmic is not recognized as an internal/external command..."

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> Try running wmic:
>
> Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
> At the prompt type: "wmic"
> at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
> This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
> Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
>
> Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
> times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
> bios version, although each bios is different.
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
> > motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer) and
> > from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is? If
> > it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something that
> > I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
> > moment. Thanks

Rich

>I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
> motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
> and
> from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
> If
> it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
> that
> I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
> moment. Thanks

Take the case apart and look at the silk screen writing on it and note any
other numbers you can find like serial number etc while your in there so
that when you go to the web site to find the correct BIOS you will have all
this information in front of you.

Rich

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

#1 I tried Everest Home Edition, and it says:
BIOS Type - Award Modular (03/04/02)

Award BIOS Message (AK31S20L) VIA KT266 VT8366+VT8233

Help at all?

#2 I looked inside the case, and All I see is a BIOS chip, and on it it says:
AK 31S207
Phoenix BIOS (TM)
D686 BIOS
(C)Phoenix 1998
020452685

Any ideas?

http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportFAQ_TopHit.asp

Chris wrote:
> It said the download is no longer available.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>http://www.amdboard.com/shuttleak31.html
>>
>>See links top right side
>>
>>Chris wrote:
>>

>>>Oh I found the manual, and it is:
>>>
>>>AK31
>>>Socket A
>>>AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
>>>Based DDR MAIN BOARD
>>>
>>>If this helps at all?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I didn't see anything about it being a .bin file. would it work the same way?

Chris wrote:
> Oh I found the manual, and it is:
>
> AK31
> Socket A
> AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
> Based DDR MAIN BOARD
>
> If this helps at all?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=AK31+Socket+A

Google is your best friend.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555372

--
Peace!
Kurt

anna

"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try running wmic:
>
> Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
> At the prompt type: "wmic"
> at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
> This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
> Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
>
> Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
> times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
> bios version, although each bios is different.

Chris:
Good information from Jason...

Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
(especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).

Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx

Anna

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
last problem installing it.

"Anna" wrote:

> > "Chris" wrote:
> >
> >> I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
> >> motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
> >> and
> >> from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
> >> If
> >> it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
> >> that
> >> I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
> >> moment. Thanks
>

> "Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Try running wmic:
> >
> > Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
> > At the prompt type: "wmic"
> > at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
> > This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
> > Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
> >
> > Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
> > times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
> > bios version, although each bios is different.
>

> Chris:
> Good information from Jason...
>
> Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
> about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
> (especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
> time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
>
> Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
> but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
> http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
>
> Anna

Use the instructions provided at the Shuttle site where you downloaded
the .bin file from.

Chris wrote:

> Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
> 2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
> thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
> I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
> last problem installing it.

>>"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Try running wmic:
>>>
>>>Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
>>>At the prompt type: "wmic"
>>>at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
>>>This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
>>>Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
>>>
>>>Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
>>>times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
>>>bios version, although each bios is different.
>>

>>Chris:
>>Good information from Jason...
>>
>>Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
>>about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
>>(especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
>>time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
>>
>>Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
>>but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
>>http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
>>
>>Anna

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I did not see any instructions, you can check here>
http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AK31

Maybe I am missing something?

"Bob I" wrote:

> Use the instructions provided at the Shuttle site where you downloaded
> the .bin file from.
>
> Chris wrote:
>
> > Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
> > 2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
> > thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
> > I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
> > last problem installing it.

> >>"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >>Chris:
> >>Good information from Jason...
> >>
> >>Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
> >>about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
> >>(especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
> >>time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
> >>
> >>Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
> >>but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
> >>http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
> >>
> >>Anna

http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/top10/top10ans/question15.htm
And
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/

For the flash utility.

Bob I wrote:
> http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/top10/top10ans/question15.htm
> And
> ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/
>
> For the flash utility.

But my guess is that the OP is gonna f*#k it up, from everything I've
seen in this thread.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Alias

"Chris" wrote

>I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
> motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
> and
> from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
> If
> it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
> that
> I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
> moment. Thanks

Yeah, there is, Everest Home Edition (free). I will tell you a lot about
your computer, including what MB you have. Get at www.lavalys.com/

--
Alias

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:55:31 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>But my guess is that the OP is gonna f*#k it up, from everything I've
>seen in this thread.

Exactly what I was thinking.

TRENDING THREADS