Find Motherboard type?

I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer) and
from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is? If
it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something that
I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
moment. Thanks
19 answers Last reply
More about find motherboard type

    Oh I found the manual, and it is:

    AK31
    Socket A
    AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
    Based DDR MAIN BOARD

    If this helps at all?

    Try running wmic:

    Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
    At the prompt type: "wmic"
    at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
    This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
    Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number

    Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
    times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
    bios version, although each bios is different.

    "Chris" wrote:

    > I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
    > motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer) and
    > from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is? If
    > it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something that
    > I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
    > moment. Thanks

    it says "wmic is not recognized as an internal/external command..."

    >I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
    > motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
    > and
    > from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
    > If
    > it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
    > that
    > I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
    > moment. Thanks

    Take the case apart and look at the silk screen writing on it and note any
    other numbers you can find like serial number etc while your in there so
    that when you go to the web site to find the correct BIOS you will have all
    this information in front of you.

    Rich

    #1 I tried Everest Home Edition, and it says:
    BIOS Type - Award Modular (03/04/02)

    Award BIOS Message (AK31S20L) VIA KT266 VT8366+VT8233

    Help at all?

    #2 I looked inside the case, and All I see is a BIOS chip, and on it it says:
    AK 31S207
    Phoenix BIOS (TM)
    D686 BIOS
    (C)Phoenix 1998
    020452685

    Any ideas?

    http://www.amdboard.com/shuttleak31.html

    See links top right side

    Chris wrote:

    > Oh I found the manual, and it is:
    >
    > AK31
    > Socket A
    > AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
    > Based DDR MAIN BOARD
    >
    > If this helps at all?

    It said the download is no longer available.

    http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportFAQ_TopHit.asp

    Chris wrote:
    > It said the download is no longer available.
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.amdboard.com/shuttleak31.html
    >>
    >>See links top right side
    >>
    >>Chris wrote:
    >>

    >>>Oh I found the manual, and it is:
    >>>
    >>>AK31
    >>>Socket A
    >>>AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
    >>>Based DDR MAIN BOARD
    >>>
    >>>If this helps at all?

    I didn't see anything about it being a .bin file. would it work the same way?

    Chris wrote:
    > Oh I found the manual, and it is:
    >
    > AK31
    > Socket A
    > AMD Athlon/Duron Processor
    > Based DDR MAIN BOARD
    >
    > If this helps at all?

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=AK31+Socket+A

    Google is your best friend.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555372

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    "Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try running wmic:
    >
    > Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
    > At the prompt type: "wmic"
    > at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
    > This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
    > Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
    >
    > Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
    > times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
    > bios version, although each bios is different.

    Chris:
    Good information from Jason...

    Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
    about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
    (especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
    time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).

    Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
    but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
    http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx

    Anna

    Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
    2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
    thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
    I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
    last problem installing it.

    "Anna" wrote:

    > > "Chris" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
    > >> motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
    > >> and
    > >> from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
    > >> If
    > >> it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
    > >> that
    > >> I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
    > >> moment. Thanks
    >

    > "Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Try running wmic:
    > >
    > > Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
    > > At the prompt type: "wmic"
    > > at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
    > > This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
    > > Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
    > >
    > > Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
    > > times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
    > > bios version, although each bios is different.
    >

    > Chris:
    > Good information from Jason...
    >
    > Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
    > about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
    > (especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
    > time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
    >
    > Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
    > but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
    > http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
    >
    > Anna

    Use the instructions provided at the Shuttle site where you downloaded
    the .bin file from.

    Chris wrote:

    > Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
    > 2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
    > thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
    > I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
    > last problem installing it.

    >>"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Try running wmic:
    >>>
    >>>Start>Run>cmd.exe (OK)
    >>>At the prompt type: "wmic"
    >>>at the wmic:root\cli> prompt type: "baseboard"
    >>>This should give you a list (you'll need to scroll over to see everything)
    >>>Probably will tell manufacturer, Model number, product number
    >>>
    >>>Another way to check is to boot into the bios itself, and it will often
    >>>times give you a product number and manufacturer of the board and current
    >>>bios version, although each bios is different.
    >>

    >>Chris:
    >>Good information from Jason...
    >>
    >>Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
    >>about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
    >>(especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
    >>time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
    >>
    >>Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
    >>but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
    >>http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
    >>
    >>Anna

    I did not see any instructions, you can check here>
    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=AK31

    Maybe I am missing something?

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Use the instructions provided at the Shuttle site where you downloaded
    > the .bin file from.
    >
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    > > Through many searching and programs, I found a driver, that was updates in
    > > 2004 for my BIOS (thanks for all of your help!) But now there is one last
    > > thing...the file donwloaded as a .bin (ak31s2ek.bin to be exact) soooo how do
    > > I install it? It was rather small, 256kb, is that normal? Yeah so, that is my
    > > last problem installing it.

    > >>"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >>Chris:
    > >>Good information from Jason...
    > >>
    > >>Your MB is apparently a Shuttle AK31. I vaguely recall that it came out
    > >>about four years ago and was considered a very decent MB at the time
    > >>(especially since Shuttle didn't exactly have a stellar reputation at that
    > >>time, although they now enjoy a much better reputation with their products).
    > >>
    > >>Frankly, I doubt whether any current BIOS upgrade is available for that MB,
    > >>but you can check it out at Shuttle's website at
    > >>http://sys.us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/index.aspx
    > >>
    > >>Anna

    http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/top10/top10ans/question15.htm
    And
    ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/

    For the flash utility.

    Bob I wrote:
    > http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/faq/top10/top10ans/question15.htm
    > And
    > ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/
    >
    > For the flash utility.

    But my guess is that the OP is gonna f*#k it up, from everything I've
    seen in this thread.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "Chris" wrote

    >I need to update my BIOS, but I don't know what type, exactly is my
    > motherboard. I bought it at a computer show (I built the entire computer)
    > and
    > from what I can tell, it is a "Socket A (Socket 462)" Is that what it is?
    > If
    > it is, I can't find any drivers for it. Is there a program or something
    > that
    > I can download that will tell me exactly what it is? I use WCPUID at the
    > moment. Thanks

    Yeah, there is, Everest Home Edition (free). I will tell you a lot about
    your computer, including what MB you have. Get at www.lavalys.com/

    --
    Alias

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:55:31 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >But my guess is that the OP is gonna f*#k it up, from everything I've
    >seen in this thread.

    Exactly what I was thinking.
  19. cmd comand is showing wrong information
    how to solve it

Computers Socket Motherboards Windows XP