Partition using fdisk

July 22, 2005 4:06:04 PM

I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc and
on which partition to put XP?

More about : partition fdisk

July 22, 2005 4:06:05 PM

RJ wrote:

> I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
> command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions
> etc and on which partition to put XP?

No. Use the partitioning built into the installation routine. Here is a
link to help you:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:ei5mPdtjFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
RJ <rjnothere@netzero.com> typed:

> I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the
> fdisk
> command to partition it?

Partition it as part of the installation process. FDISK isn't
needed (and doesn't permit NTFS).

Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one).
You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

> Any suggestions on the number of partitions
> etc and on which partition to put XP?

How big is your drive?

Please reply to the newsgroup
July 22, 2005 4:31:00 PM

"RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com> wrote:

>I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
>command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc and
>on which partition to put XP?

If you boot from the XP CD, you will have the option to partition your
disk as you see fit.

As to how many partitions, etc: you will get a different answer from
each person you ask. Smaller partitions take less time to scan and
defrag , larger partitions mean that you have a better chance of
remembering which partition that file is on.

NTFS can handle partitions of nearly any size quite well, so it really
comes do your personal taste.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:06:04 -0400, "RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com>
wrote:

>I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
>command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc and
>on which partition to put XP?

I would only use the Windows 9x versions of fdisk/format IF you have a
large HD (larger than 32gig) AND you want a FAT32 partition greater
than 32gig. The reason for this is that the XP installer will not
create a FAT32 partition that is greater than 32gig.

If you format your HD as FAT32, you will have to use "convert" from
within XP if you want to later change to NTFS without losing any data
(and there is still a faint possibility of losing data when you
"convert" to NTFS).

Your best bet if your HD is larger than 32gig is to partition and
format to NTFS from the XP installer.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.
July 22, 2005 11:39:09 PM

"" wrote:
> "RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use
> the fdisk
> >command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of
> partitions etc and
> >on which partition to put XP?
>
> If you boot from the XP CD, you will have the option to
> partition your
> disk as you see fit.
>
> As to how many partitions, etc: you will get a different
> answer from
> each person you ask. Smaller partitions take less time to scan
> and
> defrag , larger partitions mean that you have a better chance
> of
> remembering which partition that file is on.
>
> NTFS can handle partitions of nearly any size quite well, so
> it really
> comes do your personal taste.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

You could use fdisk to partion the drives, althught thats the long way
round, you could do it that way, if you prefer fdisk over the xp
inster partioner.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Partiti...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318577
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:15:32 PM

There's no reason to use fdisk for partitioning. There's no reason to use
FAT32 if no other OS will be accessing any 2nd, 3rd, 4th partitions. Remove
all partitions using the XP installer, and use the NTFS option for
installing the OS partition. The remaining space can be partitioned and
formatted more quickly within the XP OS environment.

26GB seems adequate sized partition for XP and some decent-size apps.

How many and the size of partitions in the remaining space is a personal
preference governed by your uses and the amount of space left. No idea of
your intended usage. You left the latter to guessing as you never stated
the capacity of the hard drive you intend to partition and format.

"RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
> command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc
and
> on which partition to put XP?

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:45:17 PM

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
>>command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc
>>and
>>on which partition to put XP?
>
> If you boot from the XP CD, you will have the option to partition your
> disk as you see fit.
>
> As to how many partitions, etc: you will get a different answer from
> each person you ask. Smaller partitions take less time to scan and
> defrag ,

> larger partitions mean that you have a better chance of
> remembering which partition that file is on.

I have to disagree. If one is using smaller partitions wisely, one can be
much more organized and finding files is made easier. ie, data on the data
drive, programs on the program drive, storage & install files...you get the
idea. Not to mention that such designated partitions will have less files to
wade through.

mxh

> NTFS can handle partitions of nearly any size quite well, so it really
> comes do your personal taste.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:50:03 AM

"mxh" <jm@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
>> "RJ" <rjnothere@netzero.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm going to format my hard drive and install XP. Can I use the fdisk
>>>command to partition it? Any suggestions on the number of partitions etc
>>>and
>>>on which partition to put XP?
>>
>> If you boot from the XP CD, you will have the option to partition your
>> disk as you see fit.
>>
>> As to how many partitions, etc: you will get a different answer from
>> each person you ask. Smaller partitions take less time to scan and
>> defrag ,
>
>> larger partitions mean that you have a better chance of
>> remembering which partition that file is on.
>
> I have to disagree. If one is using smaller partitions wisely, one can be
> much more organized and finding files is made easier. ie, data on the data
> drive, programs on the program drive, storage & install files...you get
> the idea. Not to mention that such designated partitions will have less
> files to wade through.
>
> mxh
>

>> NTFS can handle partitions of nearly any size quite well, so it really
>> comes do your personal taste.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Slattery

And defragmenting is a lot quicker.