problem with list logon/logoff

Tags:
  • Newsgroup
  • Windows XP
July 22, 2005 1:49:04 PM

This annoyance applies to all MS newsgroups, but this is the one I was trying
to use, so...

Let's say I happen to be browsing the forum and decide I want to post
something. Since I am not already logged on, I get taken to the logon screen.
Fine and dandy, however, unlike most newsgroups out there (e.g. aumha.net),
instead of being taken back to the page I was on, I get kicked out to the top
level page!?!?

Well-behaved software would take me back to the page I was on, instead of
forcing me to navigate all the way back to that page.

Yeah, yeah I know - spare me the lectures about logging on first - that's no
excuse for not fixing the problem.

Second issue...

Sign Out doesn't work. When I try that, I get the message that it can't sign
me out, with the option of trying again, or 'Done' - WT?

More about : problem list logon logoff

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:01:21 PM

wyocowboy wrote:
> This annoyance applies to all MS newsgroups, but this is the one I was trying
> to use, so...
>
> Let's say I happen to be browsing the forum and decide I want to post
> something. Since I am not already logged on, I get taken to the logon screen.
> Fine and dandy, however, unlike most newsgroups out there (e.g. aumha.net),
> instead of being taken back to the page I was on, I get kicked out to the top
> level page!?!?
>
> Well-behaved software would take me back to the page I was on, instead of
> forcing me to navigate all the way back to that page.
>
> Yeah, yeah I know - spare me the lectures about logging on first - that's no
> excuse for not fixing the problem.
>
> Second issue...
>
> Sign Out doesn't work. When I try that, I get the message that it can't sign
> me out, with the option of trying again, or 'Done' - WT?

The online web interface to these groups is not the most robust way to
access them. These groups are also avaiable via NNTP using software
applications called newsreaders. Windows XP includes Outlook Express as
a newsreader. A link to this group that should open the group in
Outlook Express is
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. The
following articles can help:

How to Configure Outlook Express for Internet News

How to Subscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook Express
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

July 22, 2005 5:01:22 PM

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> The online web interface to these groups is not the most robust way to
> access them.

Yes, I know. I've been reporting bugs with the browser implementation for
some time now. Since you offer it, why not fix it, or kill it?

These groups are also avaiable via NNTP using software
> applications called newsreaders.

Yes, I know. I have my reasons for not wanting to use a newsreader.
July 22, 2005 5:26:11 PM

wyocowboy wrote:

>>The online web interface to these groups is not the most robust way to
>>access them.
>
> Yes, I know. I've been reporting bugs with the browser implementation for
> some time now. Since you offer it, why not fix it, or kill it?

They are continually working on it. Continue to make your suggestions
and report bugs.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 22, 2005 5:26:12 PM

If I remember correctly, there used to be a link (before the redesign) so
that bugs could be reported to the webmaster. Can't seem to find that now -
there is just a "Contact Us" link that takes me to a generic contact listing,
so I post them to whatever group I happen to be browsing.

Is there a better place to report bugs?

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> wyocowboy wrote:
>
> >>The online web interface to these groups is not the most robust way to
> >>access them.
> >
> > Yes, I know. I've been reporting bugs with the browser implementation for
> > some time now. Since you offer it, why not fix it, or kill it?
>
> They are continually working on it. Continue to make your suggestions
> and report bugs.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:17:16 PM

wyocowboy wrote:
> If I remember correctly, there used to be a link (before the redesign) so
> that bugs could be reported to the webmaster. Can't seem to find that now -
> there is just a "Contact Us" link that takes me to a generic contact listing,
> so I post them to whatever group I happen to be browsing.
>
> Is there a better place to report bugs?

That's the only link I can find. I will forward your comments to an
internal contact that is close to the team that maintains the web interface.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 23, 2005 12:30:03 AM

=?Utf-8?B?d3lvY293Ym95?= <wyocowboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> "Tom Porterfield" wrote:
>

>> The online web interface to these groups is not the most robust way
>> to access them.
>
> Yes, I know. I've been reporting bugs with the browser implementation
> for some time now. Since you offer it, why not fix it, or kill it?
>
> These groups are also avaiable via NNTP using software
>> applications called newsreaders.
>
> Yes, I know. I have my reasons for not wanting to use a newsreader.

I can see NO reason other than not wanting to learn how to use another
piece of s/w. The only time I do look on the web for NNTP is when I'm
looking for old posts, and that's thru groups.google.com

Hell, even the OE newsreader is better than a web interface. (I can't
believe I just said OE NNTP was better than anything.)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:28:12 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:30:03 -0500, DanS wrote:

> I can see NO reason other than not wanting to learn how to use another
> piece of s/w.

One common reason is that many corporations block port 119 on their
firewall. Having that port blocked means that you can't connect an NNTP
reader to it as that connection needs to come in on port 119. So for those
individuals their option for access is through the web interface.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 25, 2005 8:01:05 PM

"DanS" wrote:

> Tom Porterfield <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:30:03 -0500, DanS wrote:
> >
> >> I can see NO reason other than not wanting to learn how to use
> >> another piece of s/w.
> >
> > One common reason is that many corporations block port 119 on their
> > firewall. Having that port blocked means that you can't connect an
> > NNTP reader to it as that connection needs to come in on port 119. So
> > for those individuals their option for access is through the web
> > interface.
>
> Point well taken. Unfortunately, I was not thinking that the poster may be
> doing that to get around something that was not supported by his/her
> employer.

No, that's not the reason, since I only read/post to newsgroups while at
work. My job is to fix computers/networks, so my boss doesn't have a problem
with newsgroups - they are sometimes a good source of info.

Time is of the essence and it is much faster to use the Groups feature of
Google than to mess with a newsreader.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:59:04 PM

Update: tested and confirmed that both of these problems are fixed. Pass
along my thanks to the team/folks responsible.

!