Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Speed up of chkdsk /r possible ?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.

Is there any way to speed this check up?

Thommy

More about : speed chkdsk

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

tho235@yahoo.com (Thommy Kanther) writes:
> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?

Do it while you sleep?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The only way to make chkdsk run faster is to have less to check. The larger
the drive, the more to check, hence longer to run. Try running against one
of the new 400/500GB drives, 24-36 hours minimum, so you're getting off
light with only 10 hours. Also note, external hard drives connected via
USB/IEEE1394 have greatly reduced I/O speeds, thus increases the time AKA
reduces the performance of any program accessing it. Normally, when I have
to check an external drive, I remove it from the external case and
temporarily mount/connect it to my internal IDE controller, in your case, a
120GB drive runs for about 3-4 hours with the /r option, about 15 minutes
with /p option, provided you're connected to a UDMA4/5 IDE controller.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Thommy Kanther" <tho235@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:42e12c11$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
>I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy
>
Related resources
July 22, 2005 9:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:42e12c11$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net,
Thommy Kanther <tho235@yahoo.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a
> chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy

Turn off your AV/AT/AS active scanning as those might be trying to scan the
files as they're being checked? Just an idea...

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It's the interface that's the "Bottleneck". Almost all External drives
on a USB2.0 channel have data transfer rates around 25.0 MBs.
Even though USB2 is rated at 480 MB, an externally connected
drive will never be able to attain that kind of transfer rate. That
being said a 120 Gig drive should not take anywhere near 10 Hrs
to complete, even with a /Fix qualifier.

"Thommy Kanther" <tho235@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:42e12c11$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
>I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy
>
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:25:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I do not what you are doing but I have 2 120GB hard drive and it does not
"seem" to take 10 hours to complete.

As for doing this during the OP sleep time, it depends if this PC is in
their bedroom. It may be too noisy to sleep with it on.


"Todd H." <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote in message
news:84d5paiuwz.fsf@ripco.com...
> tho235@yahoo.com (Thommy Kanther) writes:
>> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
>> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>>
>> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Do it while you sleep?
>
> --
> Todd H.
> http://www.toddh.net/
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Is yours connected in the same way though? The OP's is via USB.


"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
news:o Go6TFvjFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I do not what you are doing but I have 2 120GB hard drive and it does not
>"seem" to take 10 hours to complete.
>
> As for doing this during the OP sleep time, it depends if this PC is in
> their bedroom. It may be too noisy to sleep with it on.
>
>
> "Todd H." <comphelp@toddh.net> wrote in message
> news:84d5paiuwz.fsf@ripco.com...
>> tho235@yahoo.com (Thommy Kanther) writes:
>>> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
>>> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>>
>> Do it while you sleep?
>>
>> --
>> Todd H.
>> http://www.toddh.net/
>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 8:30:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Don't do it would be pretty quick.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Thommy Kanther" <tho235@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:42e12c11$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
>I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy
>
July 23, 2005 8:59:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Are you running chkdsk because you have a problem or
to check?
If it is to check, this advice from Mike Kolitz
saved me a lot of time.

You can determine definitively whether or not an NTFS volume has errors by
running this command from a Command Prompt:
fsutil dirty query <drive letter>:

For example,
fsutil dirty query C:
will hopefully yield the response
Volume - c: is NOT Dirty

Daniel
"Thommy Kanther" <tho235@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:42e12c11$0$18010$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
>I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Thommy,
There is no magic formula that can tell you how long Chkdsk will take to
run. Running Chkdsk can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days,
depending on your specific situation.

The following list describes the variables that also affect the length of
time that Chkdsk takes to run.
Variable 1: The “Indexes� Phase
During the first phase (checking files) and the third phase (checking
security descriptors), the progress of the “percent completed� indicator is
relatively smooth. Unused file record segments do require less time to
process, and large security descriptors do take more time to process, but
overall the “percent completed� is a fairly accurate reflection of the actual
time that the phase requires. The second phase (checking indexes) is the one
that typically takes the longest to run.
Variable 2: The Condition of the Volume
The condition of a volume plays a role in how long Chkdsk takes to run. If
there were a formula for predicting the time that it takes to run Chkdsk on a
particular volume, it would include such variables as the number of files and
folders, the degree of fragmentation of the volume and of the MFT in
particular, the format of file names (long names, 8.3-formatted names, or a
mixture), the number of bad sectors on the disk, and the amount of actual
corruption that Chkdsk must repair. All else being equal, Chkdsk times
typically increase linearly with respect to the total number of files and
folders on a volume.
Variable 3: Hardware Issues
Hardware issues also affect how long it takes for Chkdsk to run. The
variables include the available memory, CPU speed, I/O throughput (fibre
channel or Small Computer System Interface [SCSI]), disk RPM speed, and
others.
Variable 4: The Chkdsk Settings
If you use the /r command-line switch, Chkdsk has to read and verify every
sector on the volume, which adds significantly to the time that it takes for
large volumes.
If you do not use the /r option, the biggest time issue on a particular
hardware platform is the number of files and folders that are on the volume,
instead of the absolute size of the volume.

There is no way to speed it up. Sorry.

Lukesh

"Thommy Kanther" wrote:

> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>
> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>
> Thommy
>
>
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

From: "Thommy Kanther" <tho235@yahoo.com>

| I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
| When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
|
| Is there any way to speed this check up?
|
| Thommy

Dump the IE cache(s) and any other Browser caches.

Dump the TEMP folders.


--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:33:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

But you miss the critical point. There is no reason to do it.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07732140-15BF-4BED-AD67-B062C8734D35@microsoft.com...
> Hi Thommy,
> There is no magic formula that can tell you how long Chkdsk will take to
> run. Running Chkdsk can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days,
> depending on your specific situation.
>
> The following list describes the variables that also affect the length of
> time that Chkdsk takes to run.
> Variable 1: The “Indexes” Phase
> During the first phase (checking files) and the third phase (checking
> security descriptors), the progress of the “percent completed” indicator is
> relatively smooth. Unused file record segments do require less time to
> process, and large security descriptors do take more time to process, but
> overall the “percent completed” is a fairly accurate reflection of the actual
> time that the phase requires. The second phase (checking indexes) is the one
> that typically takes the longest to run.
> Variable 2: The Condition of the Volume
> The condition of a volume plays a role in how long Chkdsk takes to run. If
> there were a formula for predicting the time that it takes to run Chkdsk on a
> particular volume, it would include such variables as the number of files and
> folders, the degree of fragmentation of the volume and of the MFT in
> particular, the format of file names (long names, 8.3-formatted names, or a
> mixture), the number of bad sectors on the disk, and the amount of actual
> corruption that Chkdsk must repair. All else being equal, Chkdsk times
> typically increase linearly with respect to the total number of files and
> folders on a volume.
> Variable 3: Hardware Issues
> Hardware issues also affect how long it takes for Chkdsk to run. The
> variables include the available memory, CPU speed, I/O throughput (fibre
> channel or Small Computer System Interface [SCSI]), disk RPM speed, and
> others.
> Variable 4: The Chkdsk Settings
> If you use the /r command-line switch, Chkdsk has to read and verify every
> sector on the volume, which adds significantly to the time that it takes for
> large volumes.
> If you do not use the /r option, the biggest time issue on a particular
> hardware platform is the number of files and folders that are on the volume,
> instead of the absolute size of the volume.
>
> There is no way to speed it up. Sorry.
>
> Lukesh
>
> "Thommy Kanther" wrote:
>
>> I have a 120GB external hard disc connected through USB.
>> When I perform a chkdsk /r it lasts approx 10 hours to perform a chkdsk.
>>
>> Is there any way to speed this check up?
>>
>> Thommy
>>
>>
March 4, 2009 10:59:33 AM

Quote:
Try running against one
of the new 400/500GB drives, 24-36 hours minimum, so you're getting off
light with only 10 hours.

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!


arhhhhhhh ! i am experiencing this exactly, my hardrive is 500GB and it has been running for 5 days straight or 120+ hours (and counting!) WTF ??!

To top it off chkdsk as a program sux big time, does not display feedback that something is happening, i can only tell because the hdd is spinning furiously.
October 31, 2011 5:43:19 PM

dev101 said:
arhhhhhhh ! i am experiencing this exactly, my hardrive is 500GB and it has been running for 5 days straight or 120+ hours (and counting!) WTF ??!

To top it off chkdsk as a program sux big time, does not display feedback that something is happening, i can only tell because the hdd is spinning furiously.


^This made me laugh.

But surely an increase in either processing power or RAM would make at least a small speed up???
!